7900: What's causing my standards to split?

I've been having problems with my internal standards (running methods 200.8 and 6020B). The H2 standards tend to split off from the He standards. Every morning I just do an auto tune, do you think it has to do with the fact that the tune settings are different between gas modes?

Parents
  • Are you running the full Start Up (Torch Axis, EM, Plasma Correction, Resolution/Axis, Standard Lens Tune, and Performance report)? You mentioned running an autotune, but it's also important to run the Start Up which optimizes hardware settings that the batch autotune does not. The batch autotune only optimizes the lenses for each tune mode. 

Also, typically we run the HMI-4 preset for most EPA sample matrices, this will have preset parameters for the RF Power, Sample Depth, Nebulizer and Dilution Gas Flows. The preset conditions are well vetted to provide the most robust conditions, so I recommend reverting back then reevaluating the drift issue. I would uncheck the box for all parameters and go back to the preset mode for HMI since right now you are running an odd mix of low matrix and HMI which will not yield the best stability. 

Also, how old are your cones?

What concentration internal standard are you using?

Can you confirm that your grounding T (also called the mixing T) is clamped in the peri pump?

Are you running the mineral elements as well (Ca, Na, Fe, K, etc)?

• Also, typically we run the HMI-4 preset for most EPA sample matrices, this will have preset parameters for the RF Power, Sample Depth, Nebulizer and Dilution Gas Flows. The preset conditions are well vetted to provide the most robust conditions, so I recommend reverting back then reevaluating the drift issue. I would uncheck the box for all parameters and go back to the preset mode for HMI since right now you are running an odd mix of low matrix and HMI which will not yield the best stability. 

Update on this: My tune counts have dramatically decreased. I'm getting 1/4 of what I used to. It's making it very difficult to pass a He tune due to poor RSD

• I’m glad the grounding T helped! When you added the slider for the HMI, did you drag the slider bar to the low end (HMI-4) setting? By default it sets to HMI-25 which is much too high for your method. Normally when I run an EPA tune check in HMI it’s as simple as increasing the concentration of the tuning solution. The method allows you some flexibility on this.  The EPA method was written with drinking water in mind where everything is run in nogas so naturally just going to He will result in less sensitivity and it will be even more present for the low masses like Be.

HMI-4 will also result in a decrease of sensitivity, but you will have significantly better stability and a more robust plasma and we can often sacrifice some counts for better stability. I do like to remind people that the the tune uses a 0.1 sec integration time so the report is in counts not counts per second so it will always make it seem like the instrument is not as sensitive since the numbers will be 10x lower than what you see in data analysis. 

• When you added the slider for the HMI, did you drag the slider bar to the low end (HMI-4) setting?

I had it at 8. I'll turn it down and try again

Normally when I run an EPA tune check in HMI it’s as simple as increasing the concentration of the tuning solution. The method allows you some flexibility on this.

Interesting, I'm looking at our SOP and it doesn't specify a concentration. 

• Our standard is 10 ug/L. We could easily go up from here, then. Hmm

Edit: I found it, the SOP does specify 10 ug/L. Do you have a link to that EPA documentation?

• Evaluate at HMI-4, that should definitely help with counts since it uses a higher neb flow and less dilution gas. If needed you do have flexibility with the concentration. The tune check is only required in one mode and that’s typically no gas, but if you do not run no gas for your method  you will need to account for the count difference between helium/hydrogen.

Reply Children
No Data
Was this helpful?