7900: What's causing my standards to split?

I've been having problems with my internal standards (running methods 200.8 and 6020B). The H2 standards tend to split off from the He standards. Every morning I just do an auto tune, do you think it has to do with the fact that the tune settings are different between gas modes?

• Are you running the full Start Up (Torch Axis, EM, Plasma Correction, Resolution/Axis, Standard Lens Tune, and Performance report)? You mentioned running an autotune, but it's also important to run the Start Up which optimizes hardware settings that the batch autotune does not. The batch autotune only optimizes the lenses for each tune mode. 

Also, typically we run the HMI-4 preset for most EPA sample matrices, this will have preset parameters for the RF Power, Sample Depth, Nebulizer and Dilution Gas Flows. The preset conditions are well vetted to provide the most robust conditions, so I recommend reverting back then reevaluating the drift issue. I would uncheck the box for all parameters and go back to the preset mode for HMI since right now you are running an odd mix of low matrix and HMI which will not yield the best stability. 

Also, how old are your cones?

What concentration internal standard are you using?

Can you confirm that your grounding T (also called the mixing T) is clamped in the peri pump?

Are you running the mineral elements as well (Ca, Na, Fe, K, etc)?

• "Are you running the full Start Up (Torch Axis, EM, Plasma Correction, Resolution/Axis, Standard Lens Tune, and Performance report)?"

Yeah, I run all of that every morning

"Also, typically we run the HMI-4 preset for most EPA sample matrices, this will have preset parameters for the RF Power, Sample Depth, Nebulizer and Dilution Gas Flows. The preset conditions are well vetted to provide the most robust conditions, so I recommend reverting back then reevaluating the drift issue. I would uncheck the box for all parameters and go back to the preset mode for HMI since right now you are running an odd mix of low matrix and HMI which will not yield the best stability."

Ok, I'll try that

"Also, how old are your cones?"

About a week

"What concentration internal standard are you using?"

2 mg/L

"Can you confirm that your grounding T (also called the mixing T) is clamped in the peri pump?"

I don't have one

"Are you running the mineral elements as well (Ca, Na, Fe, K, etc)?"

Yes

• Also, typically we run the HMI-4 preset for most EPA sample matrices, this will have preset parameters for the RF Power, Sample Depth, Nebulizer and Dilution Gas Flows. The preset conditions are well vetted to provide the most robust conditions, so I recommend reverting back then reevaluating the drift issue. I would uncheck the box for all parameters and go back to the preset mode for HMI since right now you are running an odd mix of low matrix and HMI which will not yield the best stability. 

Update on this: My tune counts have dramatically decreased. I'm getting 1/4 of what I used to. It's making it very difficult to pass a He tune due to poor RSD

• What concentration is your tuning solution? Feel free to attach your tune report. HMI-4 will result in a sensitivity decrease, especially since you are going from a 7mm sample depth to 10mm used for HMI. However stability will be improved and you will have fewer deposits on the cones over the course of a run. You should see less drift and fewer matrix effects - this is because we are reducing plasma loading from sample matrix and space charge effects. Stability is often far more important and we can still achieve fantastic detection limits. 

You mentioned your cones are a week old, have they been properly conditioned with a high mineral solution?

Based on your feedback, I would install a grounding T. The grounding T plays a crucial role in removing static charge caused by the peripump rollers. This is especially apparent when you have minerals in your calibration because the charge slowly increases over the calibration (as seen in your plot). 

• Here's the tune reports. The tuning solution is 0.5, 5, 25, 100, 250, and 500 ppb for most analytes, 100, 250, 1250, 5000, 12500, 25000, 50000 ppb for minerals (Na, K, Ca, etc). We don't use a mixing T as we have an ISIS system

• What concentration is the EPA Tune solution you use for the tune report? I think you listed your calibration not the tune mix conc since it’s just one solution. Are you running it through the Tune/ISTD valve or through the carrier line when you run the tune check? You should still have a grounding T with the ISIS for the carrier line. 

Was this helpful?