This Information Applies To: Agilent 1290 Infinity (G4226A) and Agilent 1260 Infinity (G1367E) HiP Autosampler
Replacing the Needle Seat of the Autosampler is required when:
For an Agilent 1290 Infinity (G4226A) HiP Autosampler
For an Agilent 1260 Infinity (G1367E) HiP Autosampler
See also: Needle & Needle Seats for HPLC
Steps to Follow
Warning: This procedure risks exposure to hazardous, toxic, or flammable solvents and reagents. Wear appropriate PPE as described in the material handling and safety data sheet supplied by the chemical vendor, and always follow good laboratory practice.
Caution: It is recommended to always exchange the needle assembly and the needle seat at the same time to prevent premature leakage. See an Article: How to remove and reinstall the Needle Assembly in Agilent G4226X/G1367E High Performance (HiP) Autosamplers
Figure 1 shows main assemblies of an Agilent G4226X/G1367E High Performance (HiP) Autosamplers.
Figure 1. Main Assemblies of an Agilent G4226X/G1367E High Performance (HiP) Autosamplers.
1. Needle Assembly, 2. Needle Carrier, 3. Transport Assembly, 4. Blocked needle seat, 5. Loop capillary, 6. Analytical Head, 7. Leak parts, 8. Needle seat
To remove the Needle Seat.
1. Finish any pending or running acquisition jobs using the autosampler.
2. Stop the flow at the pump and remove the solvent lines from the eluent bottles to avoid spilling solvent.
3. Close the shutoff valves at the pump if installed on your pump module. If no shutoff valves are installed, then move to step 4.
4. Open Agilent Lab Advisor Software, connect to the LC system where the needle seat change is required, then click Service and Diagnostics> Autosampler> Maintenance Positions> Change Needle/Seat (see Figure 2). Instructions on installing Lab Advisor on your Workstation PC are provided in the article How to Install Lab Advisor.
5. Click Start to start the maintenance task. Confirm the part number for the needle seat listed in the pop-up configuration window matches the new needle seat being installed in the autosampler (Figure 2).
6. Open the front door.
7. Disconnect the needle seat from the port No.5 of the injection valve. (Figure 3)
8. Use a flat head screw driver carefully to lift out the needle seat from the holder. Avoid using excess force that would damage the area surrounding the needle seat. (Figure 4)
To install the Needle Seat.
1. Insert the new needle seat. Press it down firmly until you feel it click into position, then reconnect the needle seat to port No.5 of the injection valve (Figure 5).
2. Go back to Lab Advisor and click End to finish the Maintenance Task. Click System Overview and then click Disconnect to disconnect your instrument from Lab Advisor. (Figure 6)
Tips: If possible, run a system pressure test with the port No. 6 of the injection valve blanked using the appropriate blanking nut to ensure the autosampler flow path is pressure tight to a pressure higher than your application requires.