RID stabilization

I am having trouble in stabilizing my RID detector. Please provide me proper procedure for stabilization and getting good baseline in RID. Also when i am joining the column or removing the column there is no effect on the RID baseline.

Parents
  • All of the previous advice is very good.  I do all of these things, too.

In addition:

1.  I place a box over the HPLC solvent bottles to provide a buffer against temperature fluctuations and air currents (HVAC off-on cycles).  The boxes that vendors ship 4x4-L solvent bottles works great.

2.  At another lab, I had to fashion a cardboard baffle, packing taped to ceiling vents to direct air currents away from blowing directly on the HPLC system / RID.

3.  I tightly swath all exposed flow path lines in small plastic bubble wrap.  This includes the waste line, as it can amazingly radiate temperature changes back to the detector.

4.  A vendor taught me how to coil metal HPLC line tightly around a pencil, attach it to column, then fit it inside the heater with the column (a pre-conditioner).  It took a couple of tries to determine the best i.d. and length.

I know you are expecting me to say that I stand on my left foot while chanting during the RID analysis. . . Tempting at times, but not yet.  These are the things that I had to add over a few years of working with RID analyses, older building / HVAC / electrical, etc.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your RID.

• All of the previous advice is very good.  I do all of these things, too.

In addition:

1.  I place a box over the HPLC solvent bottles to provide a buffer against temperature fluctuations and air currents (HVAC off-on cycles).  The boxes that vendors ship 4x4-L solvent bottles works great.

2.  At another lab, I had to fashion a cardboard baffle, packing taped to ceiling vents to direct air currents away from blowing directly on the HPLC system / RID.

3.  I tightly swath all exposed flow path lines in small plastic bubble wrap.  This includes the waste line, as it can amazingly radiate temperature changes back to the detector.

4.  A vendor taught me how to coil metal HPLC line tightly around a pencil, attach it to column, then fit it inside the heater with the column (a pre-conditioner).  It took a couple of tries to determine the best i.d. and length.

I know you are expecting me to say that I stand on my left foot while chanting during the RID analysis. . . Tempting at times, but not yet.  These are the things that I had to add over a few years of working with RID analyses, older building / HVAC / electrical, etc.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your RID.

Children
Was this helpful?