Recommended # of injections per vial cap/septum?

Hi all,

I am a novice in the practical aspects of GC (most of my background/knowledge is LC) so I realize this is a very basic question. After determining impurities in my samples were due to vial cap septum bleed, I was hoping to get some feedback on the following topics:

1. Should vial caps be used for multiple injections in the same batch (i.e. blank injections)?
  2. If vials/ samples are reused, is it common practice to replace the caps after single use? Or can they be used again within a short time period (i.e. same day)?
  3. Is there a recommended vial septum material for ACN solvent? I know Agilent recommends rubber/butyl but I have seen conflicting information elsewhere (perhaps just difference in manufacturing?). 

I appreciate any and all help/ tips for a GC novice. 

Thanks,

Brian

Parents Reply Children
  • Happy to help.

With any future ghost peak troubleshooting you do, keep this in mind about septa contamination, if it is a peak it is likely being introduced at injection and going through chromatography on the column.  If it is a constant background contamination of certain masses, such as showing up even in a tune, it is septa material in the system.

By removing the syringe and performing an injection, you will have a quick test to see if the contamination is in the system or coming from something the syringe is either passing through or pulling solution from.

Don't over tighten the septa cap.  Replace septa on the inlet, wash vials, and change the liner on a regular basis and you will likely eliminate most of your septa contamination problems.

• Got it. I did a no-syringe injection to determine the impurities were coming from sample intro. I further confirmed by preparing fresh solvent blank vials with similar results. So that goes back to my original concern: with GC/MS is there a recommended # of injections from the same vial? I suspect part of the issue is using bilayer PTFE/silicone septa with ACN as my solvent. But even if I used rubber/butyl or trilayer septa, is there still a limit on the number of injections from the same vial. 

I should add I am used to LC, so it was very common to use the same vial/cap many many times with no detectable issues by UV or MS. 

Was this helpful?