Annoying regular ghost peaks?

Hi guys, I'm experiencing regular times ghost peaks starting at 120°C to 295°C.....my setup is GC-FID 6890, Low pressure drop, Ultra Inert Liner with glass wool, column HP1 widebore.....

I have cutted the inj/det 5 inches of column, heated at 295°C with 1mL/min Nitrogen flow, changed the liner...but nothing has changed.

The column is new, I only injected few samples of "ketones" in acetone.

The analysis below is a vial of HEXANE; I have those regular ghost peaks injecting acetone or acetonitrile as well.

What I have to do?

THANX

Parents
  • Ghost peaks that elute in a series like this are generally related to septum bleed. The regularly spaced peaks are indicative of a homologous series of siloxanes bleeding off of the silicone septa material. This could be coming from the septum itself or could be from septum chunks in the inlet and/or liner.

What inlet septa material do you use? I recommend the Agilent Advanced Green or BTO septa.

Have you tried changing the liner and gold inlet seal?

Best regards,

Jason

• Thanx guys, I have

-cleaned the inlet section with cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol (body of injector/reducing nut)

-replaced the split vent cartridge (it was like 5 years old..)

-replaced liner and septum using advanced green septa

-thermal heated the column then

but...I found ferrules pieces between the gold seal and the liner!

Now everything is good and my baseline is perfect.

Thanx guys!

• Thanx guys, I have

-cleaned the inlet section with cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol (body of injector/reducing nut)

-replaced the split vent cartridge (it was like 5 years old..)

-replaced liner and septum using advanced green septa

-thermal heated the column then

but...I found ferrules pieces between the gold seal and the liner!

Now everything is good and my baseline is perfect.

Thanx guys!

Children
Was this helpful?