What FID flows should I use?

Is there a table / document somewhere on what Agilent GC  FID flows I should be using for a particular column ?

Right now I have a 7890B with a 30m 0.32 column film thickness 0.25.  We use it for petroleum / Diesel Range Organic analysis with a ALS injector.  I guessed and set the h2 to like 40mL/min and the air to 350mL/ min.

I am not using any make up gas.  Should I?

Thanks

Parents
  • Most detectors use a makeup gas to increase the flow rate through the detector body. This sweeps peaks out of the detector quickly, avoiding mixing of components and loss of resolution. This is particularly important with capillary columns because the column flow rates are so small. The makeup gas line of your detector parameter list changes depending on your instrument configuration. If you have an inlet with the column not defined, the makeup flow is constant. If you are operating with column defined, you have a choice of two makeup gas modes. Constant makeup This mode provides a constant flow of makeup gas to the detector. Column + makeup = constant This mode provides a variable flow of makeup gas to the detector. As column flow increases or decreases, the makeup flow changes to provide a constant combined flow to the detector. If you choose this option, enter a value under Combined flow. The Combined flow line always displays the same value, while the Makeup line changes as the actual makeup flow changes.

• I agree with Krishna, use makeup gas when using capillary columns.  The total column + makeup flow should be approximately the same as the hydrogen flow.  The hydrogen flow should be about 1/10 of the air flow.

Also, 7890B adds the makeup gas option "Carrier + Fuel = Constant."  Use this option if you have H2 carrier and the column flow changes during the run, so the total amount of H2 going to the FID remains constant.

Reply Children
No Data
Was this helpful?