High Concentration calculations on Na when the signal intensity for the sample is higher than the blank?

Hi all -

I am very new the ICP-OES analysis and I am very confused by the values that the Agilent software is calculating. I prepare samples with a 100 fold dilution (I am running in organic solvent not aqueous) and for my samples I am getting signal intensities that are smaller than the blank or any of the calibration standards, but then it is calculating my final concentration as really high. I do not understand how this can be. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

Parents
  • Is your sample uptake time, peristaltic tubing and pump speed the same for your standards as it is for your samples? Are they diluted into the same matrix? These need to be uniform across all - perhaps check in your method that everything is consistent. Also be wary of which Na wavelength you are using - some are more temperamental than others. Run a few together to see if one is more suited to the samples and standards you are using. 

• Is your sample uptake time, peristaltic tubing and pump speed the same for your standards as it is for your samples? Are they diluted into the same matrix? These need to be uniform across all - perhaps check in your method that everything is consistent. Also be wary of which Na wavelength you are using - some are more temperamental than others. Run a few together to see if one is more suited to the samples and standards you are using. 

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?