High Concentration calculations on Na when the signal intensity for the sample is higher than the blank?

Hi all -

I am very new the ICP-OES analysis and I am very confused by the values that the Agilent software is calculating. I prepare samples with a 100 fold dilution (I am running in organic solvent not aqueous) and for my samples I am getting signal intensities that are smaller than the blank or any of the calibration standards, but then it is calculating my final concentration as really high. I do not understand how this can be. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

Parents Reply
  • I understand that the values are getting multiplied - I deal with dilution factors on a daily basis with the chromatography work I do. What I do not understand is why my Na intensities in my samples are falling well below the Na intensity of my blank or lowest concentration standard how to troubleshoot  why this is happening. From what I have been able to diagnose is that the blank Na intensities have gone from close to 0 to 10,000 in the course of a month. I have been systematically going through the system and cleaning and replacing items as needed.

Children
Was this helpful?