I would like to use compound Math with multiple compound groups, is this possible?

I have 2 analytes out of a large list that I would like to sum. I can get it to work with only one compound group for the compound math parameter. I am using multiple compound groups already for data review and reporting. The compound math doesn't work when I give it multiple compound groups.

this works, calculates my total: 

But this does not: 

I need the total to report in multiple groupings. But the "Z" group is only applied to the individual parameters I need summed. 

I don't really want to add the sum to my reports, they work and are used to transfer to my LIMs so updating can be cumbersome.

Is there a way to make the compound math work and have it in multiple compound groups for reporting purposes?  

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Howard,

Thanks, I'm figuring that I need an expression. My hitch is that I need to calculate a sum on two compounds out of a list of 84. I can't use compound math but I can use sample groups or user defined fields - so I think I would need table data bindings or IF statements - but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I've tried to create simple sum expressions but haven't been very successful. There are no examples of Sum. 

• Hello  ,

If it is just the sum of two compounds then you can use compound math. If you already have the compounds in a group for one compound math you can just make another group and make another compound math compound. In this example I use group a to calculate both the sum and average of the response for 2 compounds. Then group b calculates the sum of one of the compounds already in group a and a compound that is only in group b.

If needed I could put all of these in group c and calculate its sum.

Doing this in a report would require that you run an expression as you go through a list or table of results, filter on the desired compounds, and then add them to a summing variable. Once completed you would need to figure out how you want to report the value. The variable will persist through the report, as shown in the example in the discussion mentioned above. 

• I need the compounds in multiple groups for reporting/data review reasons, so I can't use compound math. 

Was this helpful?