Report Builder assistance

Hello! I am trying to create a report using Report Builder 10.2. What I'd like is a report that shows Data Files as a column on the left and the remaining columns show a ISTD response for each ISTD in a that sample. I've been starting with the templates (Gen_Complete_ISTD.template and Gen_Samples_ISTD.template) and tried to edit them, but the templates make separate tables for each ISTD bound to a compound. I would like a single table will all ISTD responses. I've reviewed the familiarization guide, and though I can follow it and make simple changes, I think the change in table type that I want is slightly different and outside the scope of the familiarization guide. It may have to do with how the data value are bound to the columns, but I can't quite figure it out. 

Does anyone know of additional sources of documentation for Report Builder so I can figure this out? Or, is anyone aware of template that is closer to the type I'm looking for (so that I could edit that template instead)? I've looked in the template files and I haven't found one yet that might be a good starting point.

Thank you!

Parents
  • Thanks again for the help, howard_sanford. I've taken what you suggested and I'm able to make a report template that works, and also changed the results output for different parameters. I have two follow-up related questions for my next steps in this process if you're willing to continue your assistance:

1) I'd like to add a filter for sample type for this report, so that the report template only shows samples marked as Calibration or CC. I tried to do this my setting up another filter but the error I receive upon preview is "Cannot find column [Sample]". I've attached a screenshot of the data binding that doesn't work. Can you see how to correct this filter?

2) Ultimately, I'd like to be able to make these templates for several different analyte and ISTD lists, and some have 40-50 analytes and ten or more internal standard. As you mentioned, this process for setting up templates is lots of repetitive coding. Though I'd like to have these types of reports generated because this format significantly reduces our post-report data analysis time, I'm seeing that it's going to take some time to get these setup and will have to be altered every time we add or remove analytes or ISTDs.  With that in mind, is Report Builder going to be the best way to go long-term? Or should I be investigating another approach for this type of output? (is going to be faster to edit Excel templates, for example?)

• Hello  ,

You shouldn't need to make another sample binding, unless you want to only report some compounds for certain samples and others for a different sample type. You can just change the first binding named 'sample' to filter for Cal and CCs.

Due to how the data tables are stored in quant batches, I am not aware of any easy way to create a more flexible template of this type. It might be possible in Report Builder if you utilized Python code in hidden cells to get the data from quant, store it in another data structure, and then access this data structure in another list or table. There is a simple example in this discussion.

(20) Add statistics (mean, stdev) for a column in MassHunter Report Builder - Forum - Mass Spectrometry Software - Agilent Community

Though I believe you would need to go a bit beyond what is done in that example.

I don't believe this will be any simpler in Excel, and would be much slower, potentially taking 20-50x longer than a Report Builder template to process.

The most flexible solutions are the Python based reports. These are the templates that are in the PDF-Reporting folder and that are documented in the SDK. This requires a firm understanding of Python and relational databases. I believe you would still need to organize and report from your own data structure after you get the data from quant, but it should allow for the flexibility you require.

• Hi howard_sanford, my apologies for a slow response, but thank you very much for the help and advice. I was able to get the filter for Cal and CC to work, and I appreciate the discussion of my larger problem. I think I'm probably several (many) steps away being able to work in Python at this point, but it may come to that, so I'll keep this in mind going forward.

• Hi howard_sanford, my apologies for a slow response, but thank you very much for the help and advice. I was able to get the filter for Cal and CC to work, and I appreciate the discussion of my larger problem. I think I'm probably several (many) steps away being able to work in Python at this point, but it may come to that, so I'll keep this in mind going forward.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?