Not able to launch LC OpenLab CDS ChemStation, ONLINE and OFFLINE

We have been using or HPLC system on a regular basis and suddenly, we are unable to launch OpenLAB CDS ChemStation would it be ONLINE or OFFLINE. The version that we use is C.01.07 SR3 Dec 2016 on Windows 7. The error message that we get is ‘Cannot launch the Instrument. The instrument is not available or has been deleted’. However, when I run Agilent Lab Advisor, all is good. I can connect to the LC and perform basic controls (start/stop pump, move sampler arm, etc.) on the instrument.

I visited your website and found two technical notes to help me restart my system and did perform the suggested solutions. The first one was ‘How to Restart Agilent Openlab Services in Windows 10’. It did not work. The second was ‘OpenLAB Chemtation not starting – Basic Troubleshooting’. It did not work.

When I try to launch our LC with OpenLAB Control Panel I get the error message ‘cannot launch not configured instrument’. I deleted the instrument and created a new one. When I hit the ‘configure instrument’ tab, I get an error message that starts like this:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified

at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)

at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()

at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)

at Agilent.OpenLab.UI.ChemStation.ChemStationInvoker.LaunchLocalApplication(String applicationName, String arguments, String applicationPath, Boolean waitForExit)

Did clean registry entries using CCleaner. Did not help either.

I must mention that this started after one of our students accessed the computer remotely using TeamViewer.

What should I do next?

Thanks,

Yvan

• Hello  ,

sorry for the late response. It seems like there is an error with the configuration of the software. Not sure if there was an update that was pushed to the PC before the student was able to use Team Viewer, but perhaps that it corrupted a file of the software.

I looked into that Basic Troubleshooting guide and it seems most of the steps that we would recommend are in there. So at this point I would think you could try to use the "Repair Openlab CDS" application in the Agilent Technologies folder of the start up menu. If that does not work and you are still getting errors when using the configuration button, you might need to reinstall the software completely. 

I am not sure what steps you took for the creation of the instrument, but I would look into Administration > License and Administration >Instrument Controller to be sure that it does not give errors for those and if they are okay, when you created your instrument, make sure you use Agilent LC System.

Hope this will help

Gabriel

• Did you install all the updates? Sometimes when the computer connects to the internet and uploads Windows, it might impact the software so an update is necessary

You can go to agilent.subscribenet.com and download the latest update for free. I checked and the most recent one is C.01.07 SR4 Hotfix 01.

Best,

Was this helpful?