Air leak 5973

Hello!

I have some problems with my MSD 5973 (diffusion pump). Nitrogen was between 10-18% and EMV between 2400-2600. I bought supplies and i did a maintanance: I changed He trap, MSD column Nut and ferrule, diffusion pump oil, filaments, interface, analyzer, PTFBA valve and vent valve o-rings.

The first days, my EMV decreased to 2100, however, it increased to 2400 again, and N2 maintain between 10-18%. I isolated the MSD and it continued with high N2. I used air duster for checking leaks and i didnt found.

The vacuum in ion gauge is 1.0x10 -5 with 1.1 mL/min of He flow. When I start the manual tune, 69 219 and 512 abundances decrease a lot (30% aproximatly) and it stabilizes. When I start the manual tune with PTFBA closed and later I open it, N2 abundance decrease 15%.

I think that PTFBA valve has problems. Any recommendation or what other problem can it be?

Thanks!

atune 061118-1.xps.zip
Parents
  • Hello *****,

To check if you have a real leak at the MS, before changing the EM, you have to check the abundance of ion 31 compared to the ion 32, when the PFTBA valve is open.

If 31 is ~70% or more abundant than the 32, your system doesnt have a relevant leak. If 31 is very small  (less than ~ 70%of 32) compared to the 32 then a leak is present.

31 is fragment of the PFTBA, and 32 is obviously O2.

The ratio of 31 and 32 has nothing to do with the age of the EM.

Lets find first the leak.

By the way, it is not a bad idea to have a new EM, ready to be changed when needed, if it has never been changed.

When the leak has been found (can be at the PFTBA valve, by the way), then the decrease of the PFTBA response can be explained by the capillary of the valve being partially blocked. In that case, the valve need to be replaced.

Best regards,

Francisco

• Hello *****,

To check if you have a real leak at the MS, before changing the EM, you have to check the abundance of ion 31 compared to the ion 32, when the PFTBA valve is open.

If 31 is ~70% or more abundant than the 32, your system doesnt have a relevant leak. If 31 is very small  (less than ~ 70%of 32) compared to the 32 then a leak is present.

31 is fragment of the PFTBA, and 32 is obviously O2.

The ratio of 31 and 32 has nothing to do with the age of the EM.

Lets find first the leak.

By the way, it is not a bad idea to have a new EM, ready to be changed when needed, if it has never been changed.

When the leak has been found (can be at the PFTBA valve, by the way), then the decrease of the PFTBA response can be explained by the capillary of the valve being partially blocked. In that case, the valve need to be replaced.

Best regards,

Francisco

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?