Air leak 5973

Hello!

I have some problems with my MSD 5973 (diffusion pump). Nitrogen was between 10-18% and EMV between 2400-2600. I bought supplies and i did a maintanance: I changed He trap, MSD column Nut and ferrule, diffusion pump oil, filaments, interface, analyzer, PTFBA valve and vent valve o-rings.

The first days, my EMV decreased to 2100, however, it increased to 2400 again, and N2 maintain between 10-18%. I isolated the MSD and it continued with high N2. I used air duster for checking leaks and i didnt found.

The vacuum in ion gauge is 1.0x10 -5 with 1.1 mL/min of He flow. When I start the manual tune, 69 219 and 512 abundances decrease a lot (30% aproximatly) and it stabilizes. When I start the manual tune with PTFBA closed and later I open it, N2 abundance decrease 15%.

I think that PTFBA valve has problems. Any recommendation or what other problem can it be?

Thanks!

atune 061118-1.xps.zip
Parents
  • One way to test if it is the PFTBA valve is to use a common solvent like dichloromethane and perform a manual tune but look for the ions 49 and/or 84 whislt dropping one drop onto the vent valve next to the PFTBA.

Also check if your PFTBA is empty or not. Quite often when that is running out the EM volts are increased to compensate for the lower PFTBA response and in turn increases the nitrogen/oxygen seen.

Another common area for leaks in the MSD is the MS door O-ring. this may need pushing back into place. But DO NOT put solvent on this part as there are high voltage electrical connections on this section.

• One way to test if it is the PFTBA valve is to use a common solvent like dichloromethane and perform a manual tune but look for the ions 49 and/or 84 whislt dropping one drop onto the vent valve next to the PFTBA.

Also check if your PFTBA is empty or not. Quite often when that is running out the EM volts are increased to compensate for the lower PFTBA response and in turn increases the nitrogen/oxygen seen.

Another common area for leaks in the MSD is the MS door O-ring. this may need pushing back into place. But DO NOT put solvent on this part as there are high voltage electrical connections on this section.

Children
Was this helpful?