5977b GC-MS Autotune failing. Low count for mass 502 m/z

Hello,

The tune evaluation on the 5977B GC-MS is failing. The reason is 502/69 mass ratio is smaller than 2.4 (reading = 1.5-2.0), more specifically the 502 m/z count is around 7000-9000, instead of 20000 which is seen in previous autotunes.

I cleaned the ion source, changed the filament and the next possible error that is showing is leaks or bad vacuum.

I can get H2O down to ~3% and N2 to ~2%. Previously, we been able to get N2 down to 0.8-1.0%, but I only have the vacuum on for ~24 hours to achieve 2%.

Any other possible things I can do to troubleshoot?

Parents
  • One possibility is that the source radiator (the hunk of metal that you install the source into) has become contaminated. While it is possible to clean this, it involves careful removal and requires that the user uninstall the magnet that comes with the radiator. The magnet must be reinstalled with the same orientation and problems can occur if the magnet is placed on a metal table, sonicated, dropped etc. Best to just replace the source radiator (as it comes with a new, clean magnet.)

If your method has a large amount of matrix, high boiling components etc it is possible this radiator has become contaminated. Contact technical support for the part number and if you don't feel comfortable replacing it yourself schedule a visit with a field service engineer.

I have resolved many "low 502" problems this way, typically on pesticide analysis in complex matrix or pyrolysis type applications.

• We were running dirty complex matrices and the source radiator did in fact become dirty once I inspected. I did end up cleaning the radiator as well as sonicating all the metals parts (I won't do this in the future), but the low counts for 502 mass is still the same as before and after cleaning the radiator.

• Either this isn't the problem or the cleaning wasn't sufficient. You may want to consider just replacing the radiator/magnet entirely. I don't think it is particularly expensive, but I am not sure what the cost is (and as we all know "particularly expensive" is a very relative measurement .)

When you cleaned it did you only sonicate it or did you scrub it with an abrasive slurry of alumina in methanol/water?

• Either this isn't the problem or the cleaning wasn't sufficient. You may want to consider just replacing the radiator/magnet entirely. I don't think it is particularly expensive, but I am not sure what the cost is (and as we all know "particularly expensive" is a very relative measurement .)

When you cleaned it did you only sonicate it or did you scrub it with an abrasive slurry of alumina in methanol/water?

Children
  • scrubbed with alumina in methanol--> soniceated 15 mins in methanol --> sonicated 15 min in dichloromethane --> sonicated 15 min in acetone --> sonicated 15 min methanol

I'll look into replacing the entire magnet. Any tips care tips on how to remove it without damaging the quad? From what I remember, there were a couple of screws and the 2+1 magnets.

• Here is the part number for the source radiator with the magnet:

G7002-67037 – Source radiator with magnet

When you remove the radiator be careful not to remove the white insulator behind it, if this insulator is removed the quadrupole will drop down and could become damaged. When this ceramic becomes contaminated and requires replacement there are ways to remove it without having the insulator without damaging the quad (remove the whole analyzer from the instrument, orient it vertically to the source is facing the sky. Remove/replace the insulator, then complete reinstallation of the radiator and source. Two person job.)

You're correct, there are a few screws holding the radiator onto the analyzer assembly. Once you remove the screws remove the radiator while keeping a gloved finger or two on that white insulator to make sure it doesn't come off with the radiator.

Your cleaning process is exactly what I would have done.

Was this helpful?