Troubleshooting help on Separation of peaks

I am currently working on Calibrating a HP 6890 Series GC.  I am newer to GC (limited to college experience).  I ran close to 20 solvents for my full calibration.  Used a series of four for each solvent ranging from 1mL to 10mL.  Majority of my solvents came out well and had good calibration curves.  However, for two sets of solvents Isopropanol/Ethanol, and Toluene/Normal Propyl alcohol I am having separation issues. I attempted to change the temperature ramping, pressure flows, and even switched the detectors, but with my limited knowledge and not wanting to toy around with too many parts I am unsure what to try next.  Thought about switching the column which is currently a 112-2032 J&W Carbowax/20m but again unsure due to previous statement.  Looking for some advice or just knowledge to help me out.

Parents
  • Hi vinqc -

If you are unable to pull apart your co-eluting pairs with flow or temperature, there is likely a chemistry situation between the analytes and the phase.  I don't have first-hand experience with the CarboWAX column, but WAX phases are often used in solvents, so you started in an appropriate place.  I'm attaching a link to a GC applications catalog released a few years ago.  If you search the pdf for 'solvents', you will see many other columns that have been evaluated on various column phases.  Each selection will give you basic GC parameters to get you started.  

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/catalogs/public/5991-5213EN_GC_Catalog_Applications.pdf 

Are you looking for residual solvents in a finished product?  Or more of a solvent purity scope? 

Keep us posted on your progress!

Best, 

Abbey

• Hi vinqc -

If you are unable to pull apart your co-eluting pairs with flow or temperature, there is likely a chemistry situation between the analytes and the phase.  I don't have first-hand experience with the CarboWAX column, but WAX phases are often used in solvents, so you started in an appropriate place.  I'm attaching a link to a GC applications catalog released a few years ago.  If you search the pdf for 'solvents', you will see many other columns that have been evaluated on various column phases.  Each selection will give you basic GC parameters to get you started.  

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/catalogs/public/5991-5213EN_GC_Catalog_Applications.pdf 

Are you looking for residual solvents in a finished product?  Or more of a solvent purity scope? 

Keep us posted on your progress!

Best, 

Abbey

Children
Was this helpful?