ESTD vs ISTD

Hi,

Which calculation method is better in Chemstation External standard calculation or Internal standard calculation? Is there a way to utilize both for better accuracy and precision? Any relevant response is welcome. Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi Megaflorch,

I am commenting based solely on GC/MS experience. ISTD calibration has always given more accurate answers for the application areas we have dealt in.  These include environmental, pesticides and drugs.  In most cases these represent complex matrices, a large number of analytes and a wide calibration range.  We use multiple ISTDs (labeled) at a fixed concentration.  This mix is added to every standard, sample, blank etc. final vial contents, at 10 uL / 1mL .  We do not track recoveries using the ISTDs as they are added at the end.  Recoveries are tracked using surrogate ( or spike ) standards that are added at the start of the sample prep process.  We can isolate sample prep issues separate from instrument performance issues with this approach.

Accurate ISTD addition is easy using a 10 uL autosampler syringe.  Agilent GC autoinjectors can do a sandwich injection of your vial and a separate ISTD vial, automatically, if you don't want to go manual.

Data analysis is only slightly more complex as you need to add ISTDs and concentrations to your method.

I don't see the value in doing ESTD if you do ISTD.

Best Regards,

Trifecta 

• Hi Megaflorch,

I am commenting based solely on GC/MS experience. ISTD calibration has always given more accurate answers for the application areas we have dealt in.  These include environmental, pesticides and drugs.  In most cases these represent complex matrices, a large number of analytes and a wide calibration range.  We use multiple ISTDs (labeled) at a fixed concentration.  This mix is added to every standard, sample, blank etc. final vial contents, at 10 uL / 1mL .  We do not track recoveries using the ISTDs as they are added at the end.  Recoveries are tracked using surrogate ( or spike ) standards that are added at the start of the sample prep process.  We can isolate sample prep issues separate from instrument performance issues with this approach.

Accurate ISTD addition is easy using a 10 uL autosampler syringe.  Agilent GC autoinjectors can do a sandwich injection of your vial and a separate ISTD vial, automatically, if you don't want to go manual.

Data analysis is only slightly more complex as you need to add ISTDs and concentrations to your method.

I don't see the value in doing ESTD if you do ISTD.

Best Regards,

Trifecta 

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?