Have you switched to hydrogen carrier gas? What are your experiences?

Hi everyone,

Have you switched to hydrogen from helium as your default carrier gas? What were your experiences? What preparation did you have, and what do you wish you knew?

I'm wondering about helium this week after C&ENews' article on NMR, which discussed helium and the problems associated with its availability.

Securing The Future Of NMR | February 15, 2016 Issue - Vol. 94 Issue 7 | Chemical & Engineering News

Our colleagues in NMR don't have a substitute, but in GC one can switch to hydrogen if helium availability is a problem.

What are your thoughts on...

• how long did it take you to set it up and get accurate results
  • were you able to translate your methods effectively?
  • did you encounter any institutional safety problems?

Thanks for your insights!

- Josh

Parents
  • We have about 20 GC's and GC's with HSA units.  That's 34 FID's total.  We made the switch to hydrogen years ago (like in 2000) when He availability first became an issue.  We run all of our FID's with H2 and use N2 as the makeup.  We have a few TCD's that we still run with He as we found H2 or N2 to not work well for us in those applications.  We have one H2 generator that we supplement with cylinders...it is currently in for repair.  Since the cost of He has just kept climbing (over $300 now) we have saved literally thousands of dollars on gases over the years.  We have had zero safety issues.  Most modern day GC's have safety shutdown built in.  And paying careful attention to gas usage will flag leaks if they occur. 

We are an industrial QC lab, so have some flexibility in the methods that we run so we can choose whatever flows and such that get us the resolution and reproducibility that we need.  If you are locked into regulated methods you may not have that flexibility although I have noticed some ASTM methods finally having some flexibility to use H2 instead of the default He. 

There are calculators available on-line from several companies to help make the switch in terms of flows and such.  I think Agilent has one.  I know Restek does.  If you are using OpenLab or ChemStation software it is pretty easy to set methods up using an optimum linear velocity (which is significantly different for H2 as opposed to He).  As long as you have specified H2 as the carrier it will do all the calculations for you. 

• We have about 20 GC's and GC's with HSA units.  That's 34 FID's total.  We made the switch to hydrogen years ago (like in 2000) when He availability first became an issue.  We run all of our FID's with H2 and use N2 as the makeup.  We have a few TCD's that we still run with He as we found H2 or N2 to not work well for us in those applications.  We have one H2 generator that we supplement with cylinders...it is currently in for repair.  Since the cost of He has just kept climbing (over $300 now) we have saved literally thousands of dollars on gases over the years.  We have had zero safety issues.  Most modern day GC's have safety shutdown built in.  And paying careful attention to gas usage will flag leaks if they occur. 

We are an industrial QC lab, so have some flexibility in the methods that we run so we can choose whatever flows and such that get us the resolution and reproducibility that we need.  If you are locked into regulated methods you may not have that flexibility although I have noticed some ASTM methods finally having some flexibility to use H2 instead of the default He. 

There are calculators available on-line from several companies to help make the switch in terms of flows and such.  I think Agilent has one.  I know Restek does.  If you are using OpenLab or ChemStation software it is pretty easy to set methods up using an optimum linear velocity (which is significantly different for H2 as opposed to He).  As long as you have specified H2 as the carrier it will do all the calculations for you. 

Children
  • Hi Crystalnipp (great username!!)

Thanks for the clear answer I do have a question for you.

We also run N2 make-up to our FID.

As of now we run He and our night standby method is to leave the GC oven at 150°C with 0.5mL/mim He flow. We turn flame and gasses off on FID, leaving only make-up gas.

In the morning, the GC is ready to operate in under 10 minutes for ASTM D5501 method.

Now, when switching to H2, if I send 0.5mL/min of H2 in our standby method, should I leave the flame ON at night then ?

Thanks in advance !

• I would leave the flow on and flame off for standby.  The H2 is really just dissipating into the atmosphere and isn’t at a high enough concentration to cause issues.  We leave ours like this all the time.  And we have some 40 inlets plumbed with H2 going at the same time in one room.

Crystal

{Personal Details Removed by moderator}

Was this helpful?