Tune report for ICPMS 7900

"I am new to Agilent ICPMS. I have a 7900. I run groundwater and surface water samples and use H2 gas for Be, Al, Zn, and Se and He gas for all the other analytes. For my EPA tune report, I run both gas modes but H2 has high peak widths. Do I have to run both gases in the semi autotune?

I may have to adjust my peak widths to read less than .75 amu at 5% peak height, and I have not seen my peak widths lower than .76amu when the parameters were set at .9 amu. The 200.8 method revision 5.4 has three different statements relating to the tune. Does anyone have experience determining which one to follow. My previous lab I worked at did .9amu at 5% peak height for every method.

I appreciate any help, I'm the only metals analysis in my current lab, so this forum is a wonderful support."

Parents
  • From section 2.2 of the 200.8 method:  

In other words, the ICP-MS needs to have a resolution of <1 amu at 5% peak height.

Again, the same thing is re-iterated under System Requirements:

Then, in section 10.2.1 where it describe what is needed in proof of performance it states the following:

The operative word here is “approximately”. Not less than. That’s all the method is saying.  As long as you can demonstrate < 1 AMU at 5% peak height, you are in compliance.

Then when it comes to EPA Method 6020 it says something similar but the instrument must be capable of <0.9 AMU at 10% peak height.  Therefore, if we set the software limits for <0.9 AMU at 5% peak height, we’ve complied with both methods which is why most customers use this as the requirement when running EPA methods. 

• From section 2.2 of the 200.8 method:  

In other words, the ICP-MS needs to have a resolution of <1 amu at 5% peak height.

Again, the same thing is re-iterated under System Requirements:

Then, in section 10.2.1 where it describe what is needed in proof of performance it states the following:

The operative word here is “approximately”. Not less than. That’s all the method is saying.  As long as you can demonstrate < 1 AMU at 5% peak height, you are in compliance.

Then when it comes to EPA Method 6020 it says something similar but the instrument must be capable of <0.9 AMU at 10% peak height.  Therefore, if we set the software limits for <0.9 AMU at 5% peak height, we’ve complied with both methods which is why most customers use this as the requirement when running EPA methods. 

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?