This Information Applies To: Agilent EI Source
During normal operation of the GC/MS, the EI SST/Inert ion source will need to be disassembled to proceed with abrasive ion source cleaning and / or routine replacement of consumable parts (filaments and ceramic insulators). The ion source will then need to be assembled prior to re-installing. Correct abrasive cleaning, assembly, and installation are essential to robust and reliable operation.
• 597X Tool Kit and Cleaning Supplies p/n G7077-60566 (contains)
- Gloves, clean, lint-free (8650-0030)
- Cloths, Lint Free (05980-60051)
- Nut Driver 5.5mm (8710-1220)
- Tweezers (8710-0007)
- Hex Driver 1.5mm (8710-1570)
- Wrench 10mm Open End
Figure 1: Parts Breakdown of the EI Source
|Item Number||Item Description||Part Number|
|1||Gold plated set screw||G1999-20022|
|2||Gold plated screw||G3870-20021|
|6||Drawout plate, 3 mm||05971-20134|
|12||Ion focus lens||05971-20143|
|16||Belleville spring washer||3050-1301|
|18||Source heater block assembly*||G3870-60180|
|19||Repeller block insert||G3870-20135|
* If replacement is required then contact Agilent for repair options
To Disassemble the EI source:
- Remove the ion source and place it on a clean cloth
- Use the 1.5mm Hex Driver to remove the gold plated screws and washers securing the filaments to the ion source. ( See Figure 2 for steps 2-5)
- Remove both filaments from the ion source.
- Use a 1.5mm Hex Driver to remove the two screws securing the repeller / heater-sensor assembly and separate the repeller / heater-sensor assembly from the ion source body.
- Use the 5.5 mm Nut Driver to remove the repeller nut, then remove the washers and insulators from the source heater-sensor assembly, then remove the repeller.
- Use the 1.5mm Hex Driver to remove the gold plated set screw from the side of the ion source body. (See Figure 3 for steps 6-10)
- Pull the entrance lens and ion focus lens to remove them from the ion source body.
- Separate the entrance lens and ion focus lens from the lens insulator.
- Remove the drawout plate and the drawout cylinder from the source body.
- Use the 10mm Wrench to remove the interface socket.
- See How to Clean the EI/CI Source in the Agilent 5977A/B or assembly if broken insulators or filaments were being replaced.
To Assemble the EI Source:
- Assemble the ion focus lens, entrance lens, and lens insulators. (See Figure 4 for steps 1 - 5)
- Install the interface socket into the source body.
- Insert the drawout plate and the drawout cylinder into the source body.
Caution: Do not overtighten the repeller nut or the ceramic repeller insulators will break when the source heats up. The nut should only be finger-tight
- Slide these assembled part into the source body.
- Install the setscrew that holds the lenses in place.
- Assemble the repeller assembly. ( See Figure 5 for steps 6 - 11)
- Install the repeller block insert into the source heater block assembly
- Install the repeller insulators into the source heater block assembly and repeller block insert.
- Install the repeller through the repeller insulators, then put the flat washer followed by the Belleville spring washer onto the end of the repeller shaft and secure finger tight with the repeller nut.
- Attach the repeller assembly to the source body using the two gold plated screws and spring washers.
- Install the filaments using the two gold plated screws and spring washers.
Caution: Do not overtighten the interface socket. Overtightening could strip the threads.
Learn how to effectively operate your 5977: