Create report on OLAB CDS?

Hello,

I am developing some method on the OLAB CDS and in the sequence, I created a line at the end for Create report. I set the report to be created in PDF,CSV and Txt format. For the printer I set the Microsoft print to PDF as my default printer. When the samples were done and it started to create the report the PDF files got created immediately with no problem but the state of the run stayed on reporting for a few hours and never passed that stage to run my shutdown method after that. It seems the software still working on it but, maybe it's just frozen!! Also, there is no sign of CSV or Txt files in the results folder!

Any suggestion is appreciated.

-Sam 

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello,

You should not print to a file(xps,pdf) when printing in CDS during sequence automation. If you do not have a physical printer you want to use leave that blank. If you want to create files, including PDFs, simply setup that up in the method or sequence.  CDS 2.x can create PDF files directly and does not require a pdf printer. 

Marty Adams

• Hoe does it work? I am creating the report in my sequence, as final line of the sequence, using the "Create a sequence summary report" from the Open Lab Help & Learning page. Is there any other method to create report files in OLAB CDS 2.x? Because, the way Help page explained we have to have a printer set. 

• Hello,

You are creating the summary report in the correct way. Note the help says, "if a default printer is selected", not that it is required. It also mentions that if you want to do any automated printing in CDS you must have the instrument service on the AIC or workstation setup in a specific configuration, see the CDS_WorkstationGuide.pdf or CDS_ClientAIC.pdf manuals for details. I copied part of this setup below. The other requirement for automated printing is the workflow cannot require user action. My guess is the reason it froze was the Microsoft pdf printer was waiting for a file name for the report. It is possible to use pdf printers, but they must be implicitly configured to auto name the reports, so no user interaction is required. Again, this is not necessary as CDS can create pdf files without the need for an external PDF printer. 

Marty Adams

Enable automatic printing If you plan to acquire a single sample or a sequence that specifies a processing method that has Printer report destination, add a default printer to the PC to enable automatic printing of reports. Prerequisites You have set up a domain user account (see “Set up the domain user account” on page 37). 1 Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers and click Add a printer. 2 Select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer and browse or type a shared printer name that you want to add. Once the printer is added, print a test page and set it as a default printer

Was this helpful?