Cary 100 - Validate Comm Error 9.9CSM

We have an old Cary 100 that was running fine with a WinXP laptop using the GPIB-USB-HS cable/adapter.  Unfortunately the WinXP machine, old and decrepit, died recently and the drive was not recoverable.  To minimize possible hiccups I found another WinXP machine on eBay and installed the Cary software from CD and installed NI 488.2 - 2.6 version I believe.  Most things work except Validate.  On launch I get an error reading "9.9CSM - Input Message Length Error" after a few seconds.  I can see, sometimes, the Cary moving thru the wavelengths but no tests are available.

I have searched the internet and apparently nobody else has ever had this error and/or chosen to write about it on public forum.

In past, before the WinXP machine died, I had tried to move to a newer laptop running Win7 or Win10 and encountered this same error and I (wrongly I guess) attributed it to the OS.

Other thing I see is on WinXP start - error EVsgException in module Cary32.dll at 0004E46D.

If anybody has ideas I would greatly appreciate.  Have spent way too many hours trying to get this working.

regards,

Jim

Was this helpful?