Cary 100 - Validate Comm Error 9.9CSM

We have an old Cary 100 that was running fine with a WinXP laptop using the GPIB-USB-HS cable/adapter.  Unfortunately the WinXP machine, old and decrepit, died recently and the drive was not recoverable.  To minimize possible hiccups I found another WinXP machine on eBay and installed the Cary software from CD and installed NI 488.2 - 2.6 version I believe.  Most things work except Validate.  On launch I get an error reading "9.9CSM - Input Message Length Error" after a few seconds.  I can see, sometimes, the Cary moving thru the wavelengths but no tests are available.

I have searched the internet and apparently nobody else has ever had this error and/or chosen to write about it on public forum.

In past, before the WinXP machine died, I had tried to move to a newer laptop running Win7 or Win10 and encountered this same error and I (wrongly I guess) attributed it to the OS.

Other thing I see is on WinXP start - error EVsgException in module Cary32.dll at 0004E46D.

If anybody has ideas I would greatly appreciate.  Have spent way too many hours trying to get this working.

regards,

Jim

Parents
  • For others who may find this interesting.  Looking at the GPIB set up with NI MAX you see 2 'instruments' with primary addresses of 9 and 20.  The instrument at '9' seems to work fine.  Thus I can see the machine warming up and going through the wavelengths when it's first booted.  The instrument at 20 has an error shortly after first poll, the ibrsp command gets an invalid handle error.  I looked at some of the documentation of GPIB, but not sure how much I want to dig down into that if ultimately it's an issue (as suggested by others) with the NI-488.2 version.  Will see if rolling back to 15.5 works.  Ironically I only recently threw out a whole bunch of old NI CDs for our very long running LabView subscription that might have been helpful.  Sigh.

• For others who may find this interesting.  Looking at the GPIB set up with NI MAX you see 2 'instruments' with primary addresses of 9 and 20.  The instrument at '9' seems to work fine.  Thus I can see the machine warming up and going through the wavelengths when it's first booted.  The instrument at 20 has an error shortly after first poll, the ibrsp command gets an invalid handle error.  I looked at some of the documentation of GPIB, but not sure how much I want to dig down into that if ultimately it's an issue (as suggested by others) with the NI-488.2 version.  Will see if rolling back to 15.5 works.  Ironically I only recently threw out a whole bunch of old NI CDs for our very long running LabView subscription that might have been helpful.  Sigh.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?