Use RAMAN RapID

I am using the RapID RAMAN and to read KRAFT paper bag together with a transparent plastic bag the system indicates a low value of r, my question is, what should the parameters be to be able to read this type of container?

Parents
  • Hi,

Where are you located? I think it would be good for us to get on the phone with you to discuss your questions.

We are not mentioning the containers that you mentioned in your post because they will likely not work with SORS.

SORS spectroscopy cannot be used to analyze raw materials directly through fiber boards drums, carboard drums like the ones you are showing on the picture above. The laser light does not go through this type of containers and therefore why you are not seeing the desired spectra. I suspect that you are seeing a lot of noise plus a few cellulose peaks with some fluorescence as the spectra that you are collecting. For cardboard or fiberboard conainer, you will need to open them up and scan the material throught the primary packaging which is typically a plastic transparent liner. 

For the blue bottle or blue drum that you are mentioning, SORS may or may not be usable. It depends on the raw material that you have inside. Can you be a bit more specific on this? If it is an API, there is a good likelyhood that SORS will be able to acquire the signal of your API inside that blue drum but if it is a weak scatterer, it probably will not work. When SORS does not work directly through the blue drum, you will need to open the container and scan the material through the primary transparent container. 

For the black plastic, light is typically fully adsorbed by the back plastic bag, and, creates a hot point and you might see needle size hole on the bag you are trying to go through. This type of bag is typically used to actually protect the container or the material from any light source (be it ambient or artificial like the laser for SORS). For this bag, you will need to open the bag and sample through the transparent primary container inside (provided there is no additional container). 

SORS will work with all transparent bags (to the exception of aluminum foil bag). In this case, you can use the clear bag example in the manual for the settings. 

Please let me know if this makes sense. 

My name is Frederic Prulliere. I work for Agilent Technologies as the product manager for the RapID and other SORS based products for raw material ID verification. I can be reached directly by email at frederic_prulliere@agilent.com or by phone at 00-1-864-320-8625.

Cordially,

Frederic

• Hi,

Where are you located? I think it would be good for us to get on the phone with you to discuss your questions.

We are not mentioning the containers that you mentioned in your post because they will likely not work with SORS.

SORS spectroscopy cannot be used to analyze raw materials directly through fiber boards drums, carboard drums like the ones you are showing on the picture above. The laser light does not go through this type of containers and therefore why you are not seeing the desired spectra. I suspect that you are seeing a lot of noise plus a few cellulose peaks with some fluorescence as the spectra that you are collecting. For cardboard or fiberboard conainer, you will need to open them up and scan the material throught the primary packaging which is typically a plastic transparent liner. 

For the blue bottle or blue drum that you are mentioning, SORS may or may not be usable. It depends on the raw material that you have inside. Can you be a bit more specific on this? If it is an API, there is a good likelyhood that SORS will be able to acquire the signal of your API inside that blue drum but if it is a weak scatterer, it probably will not work. When SORS does not work directly through the blue drum, you will need to open the container and scan the material through the primary transparent container. 

For the black plastic, light is typically fully adsorbed by the back plastic bag, and, creates a hot point and you might see needle size hole on the bag you are trying to go through. This type of bag is typically used to actually protect the container or the material from any light source (be it ambient or artificial like the laser for SORS). For this bag, you will need to open the bag and sample through the transparent primary container inside (provided there is no additional container). 

SORS will work with all transparent bags (to the exception of aluminum foil bag). In this case, you can use the clear bag example in the manual for the settings. 

Please let me know if this makes sense. 

My name is Frederic Prulliere. I work for Agilent Technologies as the product manager for the RapID and other SORS based products for raw material ID verification. I can be reached directly by email at frederic_prulliere@agilent.com or by phone at 00-1-864-320-8625.

Cordially,

Frederic

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?