Printing chromatograms in MassHunter Qualitative Software

We recently started using MassHunter Qualitative Software version 10.0 and I am having issues printing just the chromatograms by right clicking the chromatogram pane and selecting print>print all chromatograms. It will work occasionally, then I get a perpetual error message if I try to do it again. I have tried to restart the software, clear the memory, etc. but the error keeps generating (see screen shots and error code below). This never happened with the older versions of the software, and I do not understand why it intermittently works on 10.0. I only wish to print the raw traces for QC purposes and do not need a full-fledged report. Any idea what may be causing the error?

Sequence of events:

Error Code: 

Date and Time: 12/2/2022 10:12 AM
Program: Agilent MassHunter Workstation Software Qualitative Analysis 10.0 (Build 10305.0)
CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2123 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 core(s))
RAM: 16 GB
Build Configuration: Release
Message: RptBld generation error: Exception: Unbalanced save/restore state operators.
Stack Trace: at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.BaseReportGenerator.SendReportToReportEngine(ReportStyleType reportType, IDataItem[] analysisItems)
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.BaseReportGenerator.GenerateReportAndMapExceptions(IDataItem[] analyses)
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.BaseReportGenerator.GenerateReport(IDataItem[] selectedAnalysis)
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualCommandBase.GenerateRptBldReport(Int32[] analysisIds, IAnalysisRptEntityCollection entityCollection, ReportStyleType reportStyle, IPSetReportTemplateSelection psetTemplates, String templatePath, Boolean printOptionsFromMethod)
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.CmdGenerateReport.DoSpecialized()
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualCommandBase.Do()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualCommandBase.Do()
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.CommandModel.CommandHistory.Invoke(ICommand cmd)
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.AppManager.Invoke(ICommand cmd)
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.CommandModel.CommandBase.Execute()
at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.SendSynchronouslyToAppLayer(QualCommandBase command, Boolean showOutstandingMsgBox)

What I get when the above sequence of events actually works:

Parents
  • Hi Emily

Do you try running the "Restore Qual Settings" shortcut before you tried this. It wasn't clear if you had.That solves so many of the issues that happen with the various versions of Qual. We use this approach so much that we have that shortcut on the desktop so it is easy to access. I sometimes wonder if Agilent should add the code used in the "Restore Qual Settings" to Qual so it runs every time you run Qual.

If it is not that then perhaps try saving the method as something other than default.m before your try to do anything. I think the software may treat default.m like a special method and not like too many adjustments to it.

Kevin

• Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried the "Restore Qual Settings" as you suggested, but unfortunately it did not work.

However, after doing some troubleshooting with Agilent Technical Support (shoutout to Howard), I was able to play around with some of the method settings and it turns out that if you disable the "Save Report" option under the Method/Reports/Destination tab (see screenshot below), it allows you to print! I am not sure why this is the case, but I did notice that if you do not disable this feature, every time you try to print it generates a ton of files in the D:\MassHunter\reports\temp directory, which may have been causing the issue.

Hope this helps anyone who also runs into this issue.

Emily

• Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried the "Restore Qual Settings" as you suggested, but unfortunately it did not work.

However, after doing some troubleshooting with Agilent Technical Support (shoutout to Howard), I was able to play around with some of the method settings and it turns out that if you disable the "Save Report" option under the Method/Reports/Destination tab (see screenshot below), it allows you to print! I am not sure why this is the case, but I did notice that if you do not disable this feature, every time you try to print it generates a ton of files in the D:\MassHunter\reports\temp directory, which may have been causing the issue.

Hope this helps anyone who also runs into this issue.

Emily

Children
  • Hi  ,

I'm glad you found a solution that works for your data sets. I have continued to investigate this issue, but your solution does not work for all of the data sets I have tested with. I suspect disabling the save file feature may work for a certain number of signals, but after some point the only solution I can find is to change to Excel reporting. I know in your case you found this didn't work, but for users that already have Excel reporting working it is something else that could be tried.

The files being generated in D:\MassHunter\reports\temp are a normal part of report generation. Both Excel reports and Report Builder reports need this temp space to work in. If reporting is successful then the files are deleted, unless you have enabled the option to keep the files. This is done from the menu Configuration->Intermediate Report Files... and can be enabled for troubleshooting purposes. If there are files in this folder and you don't have this option on then they are from failed or possibly cancelled reports and can be safely deleted. 

Was this helpful?