Treating column with EDTA prior to use on LC/QTOF

We have confirmed that some our proteins are binding to active sites on our SEC column used on our MS. We need this specific column material and pore size so we cannot switch to bioinert. 

The column vendor recommended running 40 mM EDTA disodium hydrate through the column prior to use. I've used EDTA for scrubbing metals from an LC but never with a QTOF attached. I would obviously bypass the MS until the EDTA had flushed out completely but I'm concerned that it might contaminate the system with sodium and lead to increased Na+ adducts in our spectra. 

I've seen some non disodium based solutions but it's hard to tell whether there is Na/K present and non are MS-grade.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Parents
  • Hi MS2N,

Brian's given a good answer below.  There are a few other things that occur to me from my own (oligo) experiences.

You might have some success by passivating the system, and as long as it's compatible with the column then you could apply this to the column too:

If you google "agilent passivation for ILC" the top result is a good protocol to follow.

I certainly would be happy to flush a column with EDTA, although I wouldn't put those concentrations into my MS!  For oligos we use 5uM EDTA in our eluents and flow that into our MS with no issues.  We use the free acid, definitely not the sodium salt (solubility is a pain, but sonicate it for most of the day and you can get it into 100% aq solution at about 20mM), you could use the conjugate base from your eluents to improve solubility if you wanted.  We also purchase trace metal grade EDTA.

We've also seen some issues with area repoducibility in both UV and MS due to active site adsorption - we deal with this by running a few sacrificial conditioning injections of the analyte to saturate the active sites.

Chris

• Hi MS2N,

Brian's given a good answer below.  There are a few other things that occur to me from my own (oligo) experiences.

You might have some success by passivating the system, and as long as it's compatible with the column then you could apply this to the column too:

If you google "agilent passivation for ILC" the top result is a good protocol to follow.

I certainly would be happy to flush a column with EDTA, although I wouldn't put those concentrations into my MS!  For oligos we use 5uM EDTA in our eluents and flow that into our MS with no issues.  We use the free acid, definitely not the sodium salt (solubility is a pain, but sonicate it for most of the day and you can get it into 100% aq solution at about 20mM), you could use the conjugate base from your eluents to improve solubility if you wanted.  We also purchase trace metal grade EDTA.

We've also seen some issues with area repoducibility in both UV and MS due to active site adsorption - we deal with this by running a few sacrificial conditioning injections of the analyte to saturate the active sites.

Chris

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?