Replacing an ESI needle on an Agilent 6100 LC/MS

Hello: I am replacing an ESI needle on an Agilent 6100 LC/MS system (Single quadrupole).  I watched the video on how to do this but had additional questions based on having tried to do this yesterday and finding all sorts of gaps in the directions.  My questions are specifically:

1.  The replacement needle is shipped inside a small cylindrical stainless steel "needle holder" that is used to guide the needle through the flanged needle screw and ferrule.  Is this piece meant to be left in place and tightened on the ferrule, or is it meant to be merely a guide to protect the needle as you are aligning it?  That is, after the new needle is in place, should it be just the needle itself or the needle surrounded by this stainless steel sheath as well?

2.  The ferrule is extremely soft and snapped (not just once but twice!) as I tightened it.  The video says to tighten one quarter to one half turn beyond finger tight, but enough to hold the needle in place.  In order to hold the needle (with holder above) in place, I had to turn more than one half turn, thus weakening the ferrule.  Any tricks, suggestions?

3.  I find the quality of the video poor (too small to really see anything).  Does Agilent do schematic drawings so one can actually see up close what one is aiming for in making a repair like this?   Thanks in advance,

• Hi Witter,

Sorry you are having issues. What kind of nebulizer are you using? The old style with lock nut, a torx/set screw or one with hex set screw. Are you using the video from the 6100 Resource DVD?

Answers to your questions:

1.There is a little wire inside the needle that needs to be removed after putting through ferrule.

2. Once you get the ferrule on, slide needle through needle holder, push the needle into the ferrule until the needle is slightly visible, flush with the end of ferrule. Reinstall locknut and union, hand tighten the union onto the guide and ferrule. using a wrench hold needle holder steady. Turn union 1/2 to 3/4 turn. You should not have to go more than this. You should hear a  little squeak when ferrule is compressed. Bring lock down onto the union. Check the needle by gently pulling on it.

3.We don't have schematics, but curious which video you are using and which alignment jig?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Mitch

• Thank you for your responses.  I am using the old style with lock nut.  The video is one that the tech copied to the desktop when he installed the equipment originally (back in 2007).  I have since seen a new one when I called tech support for help.  Your answer with response to the needle makes sense; I wasn't sure why there was a thin wire (I mistakenly thought that was the needle) because it's not mentioned in the directions.  The new needle flange that they sent has a different design then the original; it already has a nut that is fused to the part and so it's not like the original which had a nut that screwed on (below the union).  I am not using an alignment jig (although I do have a stainless steel block to hold the ESI needle when I removed it from the interface), is this something that is critical to use and what is the part number?  I can see the tip of the needle because I am using a microscope to view it, so is it necessary or just convenient? 

• There is an up to date video uploaded on the Agilent community. It has the part number for the Jig.

NebulizerAdjustment.mp4

Mitch

Was this helpful?