Interfacing an Agilent 1100 G1315B DAD to an Advantec CHF122SC Fraction Collector

Dear All,

I am new to HPLC kit but am trying to help a colleague with the above but we are not making much progress. 

So far I have made up a cable to connect the DAD's 'APG Remote' port (9-way D-sub connector) and its detector analogue O/P (BNC connector) to the CHF122SC's 12-way terminal block interfacing connector.  Just 3 signals are connected; the detector analogue O/P, the START signal and the STOP signal, which AIUI should be sufficient.  However the fraction collector does not respond when a run is performed on the Agilent 1100.

Measuring the analogue voltage (set to 1V range on Chemstation application software) being sent to the fraction collector with a DMM shows it rising from a background level of typically 50-60mV to e.g. 0.5V on the larger peaks of the chromatography spectrum, which I am assuming should be OK for the (suitably configured) fraction collector.

Measuring the START signal (which should be a TTL level according to the manual) from the DAD shows a constant voltage of ~3V which does not change when a run is started, which does not look right.

Unfortunately the documentation that came with the fraction collector is quite unclear and Advantec have not responded to my email request for help.

The other thing I am unclear on, is whether the Chemstation S/W needs to be configured to produce the required START and STOP signals for the fraction collector -- and if so, how.  We did try configuring it for an Agilent G1364C but it complained it could not connect to that instrument.  Checking the G1364 series manual afterwards shows the detector to G1364 interfacing is via the Ethernet/CAN bus cable and not via the APG Remote port, which must explain why it looked for but could not see the G1364.

I suspect we are going the wrong way about this.  Can anyone with an Agilent 1100 stack and an Advantec fraction collector give some tips on how to interface them?

Many thanks

Tom Crane

Parents Reply
  • Hello shivilik,

Thanks for the follow-up. I looked at some on-line photos of the front of the Waters Fraction Collectors and they do look very similar to / same as our Advantec one but the terminal block connections on the back are completely different; 2 x 10-way terminal blocks?) c.f. 1 x 12-way one with completely different pins-outs too, e.g. from the CHF122SC manual,

CHF122SC 12-way terminal block pinouts

Best regards

Tom.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?