PTFE frit in Quat Pump always dirty

Hello! I have slightly increased the amount of use my HPLC gets but I am having to change the PTFE frit in the Quat pump what seems like a lot more often. Probably once to twice a month. Is there anything else that anyone thinks that could be causing it to get dirty? Or is it more likely to just be from just the increased usage? We do not have a normal maintenance routine as we are a very small company. I am working on developing one.  Thank you for any help you can provide!

ETA: I am having pressure issues when this happens and causes it to stop working. I forgot to mention this.

Parents
  • The previous replies are all spot on. While quality and cleanliness are critical to good chromatography, a dirty frit might indicate it's time for new piston seals.   Check you maintenance log, or if you don't keep records download the Lab Advisor utility from the Agilent firmware site.  Lab Advisor includes many features, diagnostics, EMF counters, and firmware updating.

You can also try vacuum filtering your mobile phase through 0.2 micron filters, if you suspect things are growing in your mobile phase (e.g. algae or bacteria)

Directions to LabAdvisor (and Firmware)

Please visit http://www.agilent.com/en-us/firmwareDownload?whid=69761 for downloading the latest Agilent LC firmware and Lab Advisor.

Once there, click on Firmware Update Tools & Procedures, select Firmware_Set_UpdateTools/LabAdvisor/M8550-60118 Agilent Lab Advisor Disk B.02.14.zip and then Download.

• The previous replies are all spot on. While quality and cleanliness are critical to good chromatography, a dirty frit might indicate it's time for new piston seals.   Check you maintenance log, or if you don't keep records download the Lab Advisor utility from the Agilent firmware site.  Lab Advisor includes many features, diagnostics, EMF counters, and firmware updating.

You can also try vacuum filtering your mobile phase through 0.2 micron filters, if you suspect things are growing in your mobile phase (e.g. algae or bacteria)

Directions to LabAdvisor (and Firmware)

Please visit http://www.agilent.com/en-us/firmwareDownload?whid=69761 for downloading the latest Agilent LC firmware and Lab Advisor.

Once there, click on Firmware Update Tools & Procedures, select Firmware_Set_UpdateTools/LabAdvisor/M8550-60118 Agilent Lab Advisor Disk B.02.14.zip and then Download.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?