Phosphate buffer in HPLC

Goodmorning,

since few months I am using phosphate buffer for my analysis (method from Agilent Application Solution "Analysis of water-soluble vitamins from multivitamin tablets"), I've never used it before. I have an Agilent 1260 HPLC binary pump and the column is Agilent poroshell EC-C18 2.7um, mobile phases are phosphate buffer pH 7 (channel A) and acetonitrile (channel B). I am looking for a washing protocol to prevent salt precipitation.

This is what I did untill now, but I don't know where I did a mistake: the column pressure is still too high (more than 400bar with 99% H2o and 1% ACN instead of 270 bar, I've already try to restore the column with different washes,..), I have to change it (but is quite new, I've bought it last august..)

-never stop analysis letting buffer in the system (es. overnight or during the weekend)

-after analysis wash the entire system with colum with Water (HPLC grade) 90% + ACN 10% for 20 min, then return to 100% ACN

Maybe 20 min is not enough?

Thank you!

25/03/19

Hi guys!

i'm still here hope you can help me. i really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have a new column (see previous part) and after more or less 40 runs it shows higher pressure: pressure rises from 300 bar (70%acn 0.5 ml/min) to 450 bar same conditions.

Here what I did (I've used your suggestions)

- prepare daily fresh phosphate buffer [for 0.5 ml of buffer, 0.6634g KH2PO4 (mw 136.08g/mol) + 1.328g K2HPO4 (mw 174.2 g/mol)], magnetic stirrer for 15 min, vacuum filtration 0.22um.

- sample filtration with 0.22um

- for cleaning the colum: I've created a method with these conditions (ACN & HPLC water)

0 --> 60 min 15% ACN 0.1 ml/min

0--> 7 hours slow gradient to 100% ACN with 30 min step (each step 5% ACN more)

other 60 min at 100% acn 0.2 ml/min

at the end the pressure was ok (less than 300 bar) but when I check the initial condition (70% acn 0.5 ml/min) the pressure became higher

Where is the mistake??

What should I do now? wash with isopropanol 100%? change flow? the column is too new......

THAN YOU ALL!

Messaggio modificato da ANTONELLA GALEONE

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Abdur,

nice to ear you!

I’m quite sure that the problem is in the column. Here what I did before say thist statement:

-when I saw that the pressure was getting higher and higher, after had washed the column, I’ve change the frit and the golden seal cap

-after that I had a problem with the purge valve: it leaked but the pressure was really high (500bar)

-I’ve removed the column and put the union part: with a 1 ml/min flow 100% MeOH the pressure was 5-6 bar

- I’ve switched several times mainpass-bypass: no differences

- then I tried to wash the column, first of all with milliQ water 50°C, then I change the flow of the column and wash all the system for all weekend long with 95% h2O-5% ACN 0.1 ml/min, the pressure fallen down from 300 bar to 120bar

- I did all the washes with no collection from column to flow cell

Now the instrument is working with another column (Agilent C18 zorbax) with ACN and 0.1% formic acid: with 0.5 ml/min flow is 30 bar, chromatogram is ok

What do you suggest to me?

I’ve ordered another column, but I’m so sad.. and think my boss isn’t so happy for this disaster Frowning2

THANK YOU

Antonella Galeone

Quality Control Lab Assistant

• Hi Abdur,

nice to ear you!

I’m quite sure that the problem is in the column. Here what I did before say thist statement:

-when I saw that the pressure was getting higher and higher, after had washed the column, I’ve change the frit and the golden seal cap

-after that I had a problem with the purge valve: it leaked but the pressure was really high (500bar)

-I’ve removed the column and put the union part: with a 1 ml/min flow 100% MeOH the pressure was 5-6 bar

- I’ve switched several times mainpass-bypass: no differences

- then I tried to wash the column, first of all with milliQ water 50°C, then I change the flow of the column and wash all the system for all weekend long with 95% h2O-5% ACN 0.1 ml/min, the pressure fallen down from 300 bar to 120bar

- I did all the washes with no collection from column to flow cell

Now the instrument is working with another column (Agilent C18 zorbax) with ACN and 0.1% formic acid: with 0.5 ml/min flow is 30 bar, chromatogram is ok

What do you suggest to me?

1. I’ve ordered another column, but I’m so sad.. and think my boss isn’t so happy for this disaster L

THANK YOU

• Hi Anto,

After preparing your phosphate buffer, do you then filter the buffer before using it?

As long as the buffer is continuously moving in the system you should be ok.  Then if you need to turn the system off, you should make sure to wash with a mixture of water.

You can try to reverse the flow throw the column, by flipping the column in the other direction to see if what is in there can come out the other end.

You might also try looking into a guard column. 

• Yes, I filter the buffer with 0.45um sartorius filter and i prepar it fresh every day.

I reverse the flow by changing the direction of the column and let wash for 36 h in 95% water and then by gradient to 100% acn but the pressure still remain high

How is the best way to wash if I have to turn off the instrument?

thanks!

• Hi! It seems the column with 2.7 um particles has same good old 2 um frits, just as most 5 um columns:

see page 5:

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/slidepresentation/public/Short%20OMC%20for%20Tour%20Final.pdf

and page 29:

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/slidepresentation/public/GCC_2014_Tips_and_Tricks_HPLC_User_Maintenance.pdf

So it is most likely not a solution, as I did filtered with both 0.45 um and 0.2 um when I had issues with this method and it was no difference in clogging.

• This may be the problem - 0.45µ filters are not quite adequate for sub 5µ column packings (which you are using).

Try 0.22µ filters for the buffer and samples. This should at least slow down the clogging of your next column.

Also, when you clean out your columns with 5% ACN in water, do you turn them around so flow is backwards? This helps speed up the cleaning process sometimes.

Was this helpful?