What is the cause of a shift in the FLD signal during a run?

Hi 

We often run amino acid analysis with a HPLC FLD (G1321A). But recently we have some problems with our chromatograms.

For the detection of primary and secondary amino acids, a different excitation and emission wavelengt is needed. So for the analysis a timetable for the FLD signal is set up:

Recently we have noticed that, at 17,40 minutes, when the FLD switches its signal, it also causes a shift of the baseline in our chromatogram. Which means we are not able anymore to detect our secondary amino acids.

Does anybody has expercience with such a problem?

Thank you!

MV

Parents
  • That looks unusual, especially the peak with the flat top. In the Chemstation logbook there would be an ADC overflow error, I reckon? Not taking the baseline drop into consideration, the peak at 22min seems to saturate the detector. Remember, the highest peak has to be between 0 and 100 LU.

I would run an intensity test, the signal/noise test and the dark current test. A wavelength accuracy test should be done after  thorough flushing with water at 2 ml/min for about 15 mins. Pulling the diagnostic buffers and a system report might be required later. The tests itself are run with a restriction capillary installed and a flow of 0.25ml/min of fresh water.

Note that to be on the safe side we request to keep a distance between EX and EM of 40nm, so your parameters are borderline.

• That looks unusual, especially the peak with the flat top. In the Chemstation logbook there would be an ADC overflow error, I reckon? Not taking the baseline drop into consideration, the peak at 22min seems to saturate the detector. Remember, the highest peak has to be between 0 and 100 LU.

I would run an intensity test, the signal/noise test and the dark current test. A wavelength accuracy test should be done after  thorough flushing with water at 2 ml/min for about 15 mins. Pulling the diagnostic buffers and a system report might be required later. The tests itself are run with a restriction capillary installed and a flow of 0.25ml/min of fresh water.

Note that to be on the safe side we request to keep a distance between EX and EM of 40nm, so your parameters are borderline.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?