Running samples simultaneously on GC-TQ and GC-FID

I have recently procured a GC-TQ with FID (8890 and 7000E) with two separate autosamplers for analysing blood samples. I am facing challenges with sample volume, preferring to inject from the same vial simultaneously into both the FID (front inlet) and MS (back inlet) or MS/MS. While there's a dual injection option available, it requires two vials, which is not ideal for my workflow (460 samples waiting!). I am seeking assistance with setting up a sequence in MassHunter software to use one vial but two inlets, allowing me to run samples together. Is this possible? We have one oven with two columns, one for the FID and one for MS. 

Parents
  • With only one vial available of your sample, I see a couple of ways you can do this:

Option 1: Use the dual injection option but stagger the samples.  For example:

Sequence line 1: Inject vial 1 to FID, blank to MSD
       Sequence line 2: Vial 2 to FID, vial 1 to MSD
       Sequence line 3: Vial 3 to FID, vial 2 to MSD

This would take some work to line the results up later but can be implemented right away.

Option 2: Add a splitter to the system.  You can inject onto one column and split at the end or split onto two columns right after the inlet.  More information on Agilent's splitter hardware can be found at https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/brochures/5989-9667EN.pdf.  A two-hole inlet ferrule could do the same thing, though I haven't used that myself.

• With only one vial available of your sample, I see a couple of ways you can do this:

Option 1: Use the dual injection option but stagger the samples.  For example:

Sequence line 1: Inject vial 1 to FID, blank to MSD
       Sequence line 2: Vial 2 to FID, vial 1 to MSD
       Sequence line 3: Vial 3 to FID, vial 2 to MSD

This would take some work to line the results up later but can be implemented right away.

Option 2: Add a splitter to the system.  You can inject onto one column and split at the end or split onto two columns right after the inlet.  More information on Agilent's splitter hardware can be found at https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/brochures/5989-9667EN.pdf.  A two-hole inlet ferrule could do the same thing, though I haven't used that myself.

Children
Was this helpful?