How to upgrade MS source to Extractor 350?

Hi,

I have a 5977 MS with SST source. I'm thinking of upgrading to Xtr 350. The MS can support it (There's an extra jack on the board to connect the extractor lens), but I was wondering if I need to make changes to the software or run the Parts Finder after installing the source. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Ehsan

Parents Reply Children
  • The G7080B with the diffusion high vacuum pump is not compatible with the extractor ion source. It can be run with the Stainless Steel and the Inert EI ion sources.

• Thank you for your response, Paul.

Could you please elaborate on the reason? I've seen this model listed with Extractor EI on third party websites (with warranty cover). Also, there's a green and a brown cable coming out of the source-side board along with a diagram on the MSD hood demonstrating how to connect those cables to Inert or Extractor source.

• G7080B   5977B with Diffusion pump and SS source

G7081B   5977B with Turbomolecular pump and SS source

G7077B   5977B with Turbomolecular pump and Extractor source

G7078B   5977B with Turbomolecular pump, Extractor source, and Chemical Ionization capability

G7079B   5977B with Turbomolecular pump and High Efficiency Ion Source

Some parts, like the Ceramic Source Connector board, are used in all of the systems whether the pump, source, electronics, or software support all of the capabilities or not. The diagram is for all models.  The G7080B version of the 5977B only supports the Stainless Steel and Inert EI ion sources.  

• Thank you for the information, Paul.

Yes, I saw that information on Agilent manuals and supposed those are just default setups for each equipment and can be upgraded.

• A G7081B, G7077B, and G7079B can have CI added.  There is not an SS to Extractor upgrade.

What makes you feel that you need an extractor ion source?  It increases the ion transmission into the quadrupole but most analyses have peaks that are too big already.  There are chromatographic ways to improve overall system signal to noise and that theoretical word "sensitivity."    What are your peaks of interest and at what concentration/amounts?

• I really appreciate your response, Paul!

I'm looking to measure hormone concentration in plant tissue using Methyl Chloroformate derivatization. I successfully detected and measured amino acids and some hormones with good sensitivity, but other hormones and some toxins are present in trace amounts (1-100 ng/g fresh weight, very variable depending on species and environment). Sinch most of these compounds have low molecular mass (C5-C10), their spectra don't make some big peaks like diterpenes (C20). I know they are usually being measured using UPLC/HPLC, but we don't have access to this equipment here. It's also very labor intensive and dangerous to use more than 200mg of tissue sample for extraction and analysis using MCF derivatization. Things I'm thinking of is to increase He pressure to 15-16 psi (and put inlet on constant pressure instead of constant flow), so that I can inject more sample without having backflush problem, use SIM instead of TIC, and in the best case, upgrade to Extractor source.

Was this helpful?