What is causing these baseline deviations on the TIC?

I started seeing these baseline disturbances after running a second sample of CF4.  No changes were made to method or instrument.

Parents Reply
  • Ok, I've tried to condition the column three times and no improvement.  I also have clipped some of the inlet end of the column and reinstalled and that did not help either.  I have not checked inlet as I have not worked on them before and I don't have supplies to change the septa, liner and seal.  We don't use the injection ports at all, only the gas sampling valve.  The gas sampling valve injects the sample onto both columns at the same time.  It seems odd to me is that we have two columns connected to the same sampling valve and only seeing the abnormal baseline from the column that goes to the MS.  The other column which goes to a TCD and then FID is normal and not showing any baseline deviations.  If contamination was in the inlets or sampling valve wouldn't it show up at both detectors (the MS and the TCD/FID)?  Also there are no unusual fragments in the mass spectra other than the typical ones associated with air (17, 18, 28, 32).

Children
Was this helpful?