Electronics checks for 5975 GCMS

Are there electronic checks that can check to make sure a filament isn't failing because of an electronic issue?

We had a filament die, which isn't too surprising considering it was nearly ten years old (teaching institution, the instrument sees periodic use).  We switched to the second filament and ordered new ones.  But the second filament didn't last past the auto tune that I used to verify it was functioning.  (Professor was unable to auto tune the next day.)  I'm inclined to say that this filament failed due to age (again, it was almost ten years old), but I would feel better if there was a diagnostic test I could perform on the electronics before we fire up a new filament.

• hello,
    quite honestly: 10Y and only one filament, that sounds like a world record.
    There are customers who need a new filament after a few months, some customers get by with one filament for 1-1.5 years => you should never expect more lifetime for a filament. furthermore you should always have 2 filaments in your drawer.

Effects that shorten the life time:
    * The lifetime of a filament can be compared to the filament of a light bulb:
          oxygen or bad vacuum & the filament ages very fast
    * if the filament is switched on while the main solvent peak is coming: shortens the lifetime.
          in other words: try to avoid OVERRIDE THE SOLVENT DELAY (time)

When starting up the MSD (pump down) please do not perform an MS scan immediately (filament on), waiting 30min is a good orientation. further notes: https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/Support/Documents/F05003.pdf

For customers there are unfortunately no electronic checks to be performed at the MSD.

The only test to see if the filament is defective before installation is to measure the continuity of the filament with a multimeter (ohm/resistance). Theoretically this is also possible if the MSD is ventilated & the ion source has no cables on the filaments: then the installed filaments can be measured. CAUTION, this requires a certain level of electronic expertise!

regards, M

• I'd just replace both filaments and check them when you get it pumped down and back up. 

Was this helpful?