Passing a 525.3 DFTPP Tune Check on GC-QQQ

We are currently working on running EPA 525.3 (and 625/8270) on our GC-QQQ. Our accrediting organization has said that they will consider it acceptable, as long as we meet all of the QC in the methods. Unfortunately, this includes passing a DFTPP tune check in scan, even though we will be running MRM. While the EPA 625 criteria are not compatible with the autotune results, the EPA 525 criteria are much broader (as they are intended for targeted analysis) and using autotune, the DFTPP check passes about a third of the time.

I've reached out to a couple of the environmental experts at Agilent, but I figured I'd ask the community as well and see if anyone here has any ideas. We only need to be able to pass the tune check on Q1, and it's very close. When it fails, it's only one ion ratio, and only barely, 443 rel to 442 (~26%, limit 15-24%).

One person suggested increasing the threshold in acquisition. I tried everything from 50 to 100000, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Does anyone know if there is something I can do within Custom/Advanced/Manual tune to improve just that ion ratio? I'm not comfortable enough with the function within advanced or manual to want to start playing around.

Parents
  • Hi,

You mentioned 8270. The method 8270E has been recently updated  (Promulgated in July:  https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-04/documents/method_8260d_update_vi_final_03-13-2017_0.pdf  ) Appendix A lists 65 changes from 8270D and the method is more amenable for GC-MS/MS equipment (sections 1.3 and 1.5).

For MS/MS SRM In section 6.1.3.3 "When analysis is performed using product ions for quantitation, it is not an appropriate verification of the system to perform DFTPP analysis and meet the criteria outlined in Sec.. 11.3.1 ." Section 11.3.1 is particularly helpful.

"11.3.1.2 Use the DFTPP mass intensity criteria in the manufacturer's instructions as primary tuning acceptance criteria or those in Table 3 as default tuning acceptance criteria if the primary tuning criteria are not available. Alternatively, other documented tuning criteria may be used (e.g., CLP or Method 625)),, provided that method performance is not adversely affected. The analyst is always free to choose criteria that are more stringent than those included in this method or to use other documented criteria provided they are used consistently throughout the ICAL, calibration verification, an d sample analyses."

For Table 3 "The criteria are taken from Reference 11 (Method 525.3 )"

Regards,

Tim

• Hi Tim!

Yes, I'm aware of 8270E but we have not updated to it yet, as to the best of my knowledge is had not been officially promulgated. Do you know where the response to comments from the comment period (which closed in June 2017) is located? I can't find it.

Unfortunately, ultimately, it is not relevant to my issue, as most of our analysis is going to be by 625 or 525 (wastewater for discharge permits and drinking water for our aquifer injection project). We will be using 8270 but only for a limited set of projects (TCLP extracts).

While 625.1 mentions that GC/MS/MS is a technique that is great for matrix interferences and allows the use of it as a primary or confirmation analysis technique, there are no exceptions to the QC requirements (such as DFTPP) given in the remainder of the method text.

Sec. 3.4: "The use of CI or MRM mass spectrometry may be utilized to support electron ionization (EI) mass spectrometry or as a primary method for identification and quantification. While the use of these enhanced techniques is encouraged, it is not required."

It does, however, include an exception similar to that in 8270D allowing the use of alternative manufacturer or documented criteria. However, 525.3 has no such exception, as the criteria in 525.3 were broadened specifically to be more applicable to target analysis (the original DFTPP criteria were developed primarily for unknowns analysis, so that individual lab and library results would match). And as these additions to methods are very new, Agilent has not yet established/published alternative manufacturer criteria for the triple quad.

As a result, in order for our analysis to proceed and to obtain accreditation for these methods, it was necessary for me to find a way to pass a DFTPP tune check by 525.3 criteria (525.3 specifies that you must run it in full scan, even if using SIM analysis). As you can see from my results above, I was able to do that.

Thank you for your help, and if you have a link to the response to comments, I would love to see it. I wish that more of the methods were as updated to new technology as 8270E, since we all know that running a DFTPP tune check for MRM work is pointless (and 625.1 increased the frequency to every 12 hours). Unfortunately the methods are what they are, and for accreditation purposes, we have to work within the restrictions they give us.

• The period for comments closed on 28th June. A search for Docket ID: EPA-HQ-OLEM-2017-0133 in

Regulations.gov only yealded 7 accepted responses - About 5 refer to 8270E, and a couple mention Mass tuning criteria and MS/MS.

Tim

• Hi Ron-

I was able to see the method, but I couldn't find the response to comments and I was curious to see some of the responses. It does not appear to be in the docket https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=EPA-HQ-OLEM-2017-0133 and the update page https://www.epa.gov/hw-sw846/sw-846-update-vi-announcements does not say that they have released the final version yet.

After further investigation:

It looks like 8270E is validated, but not yet included in the SW-846 compendium (https://www.epa.gov/hw-sw846/sw-846-compendium). So the response to comments will be published in the future. I can check with our QA department, but I think we're stuck with 8270D until it's in there officially.

• Hi Tim-

Yes, I am aware that the period for comments closed on June 28th, 2017, as I stated above.

I have also seen the docket. I linked to it in my above post.

I have seen the comments; it is the response to comments that I was inquiring about. As the response to comments is usually published when the final version of the method is included in the compendium (which I also linked to above), it appears that it has not yet been published.

When it is, I'll try to remember to post the link to it here so that you can find it.

Reply Children
  • Hi Tim-

EPA finally released the final versions of 8260E and 8270D, along with the response to comments. The response to comments and the final version of the method can be found here:

SW-846 Test Method 8270E: Semivolatile Organic Compounds by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) | Hazardous Was…

One additional note has been added regarding the use of SRM/MRM analysis (Sec 11.3.1):

"NOTE: DFTPP tune checks are not appropriate for CI analysis or tandem MS analysis using SRM. However, the laboratory must demonstrate, prior to  the ICAL, that the MS system achieves mass accuracy and mass resolution criteria specified by the instrument manufacturer for the perfluorotributylamine (PFTBA) internal calibrant or another appropriate chemical."

While it is great to see these methods being updated to reflect the use of more modern technology, until the wastewater and drinking water groups reach the same point with 625/525, I will have to continue running DFTPP tune checks.

Megan

Was this helpful?