Passing a 525.3 DFTPP Tune Check on GC-QQQ

We are currently working on running EPA 525.3 (and 625/8270) on our GC-QQQ. Our accrediting organization has said that they will consider it acceptable, as long as we meet all of the QC in the methods. Unfortunately, this includes passing a DFTPP tune check in scan, even though we will be running MRM. While the EPA 625 criteria are not compatible with the autotune results, the EPA 525 criteria are much broader (as they are intended for targeted analysis) and using autotune, the DFTPP check passes about a third of the time.

I've reached out to a couple of the environmental experts at Agilent, but I figured I'd ask the community as well and see if anyone here has any ideas. We only need to be able to pass the tune check on Q1, and it's very close. When it fails, it's only one ion ratio, and only barely, 443 rel to 442 (~26%, limit 15-24%).

One person suggested increasing the threshold in acquisition. I tried everything from 50 to 100000, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Does anyone know if there is something I can do within Custom/Advanced/Manual tune to improve just that ion ratio? I'm not comfortable enough with the function within advanced or manual to want to start playing around.

Parents
  • Since this has not been tested, have you tried lowering the 414 ratio in tune and see what happens with 442 and 443?

• I spent the last couple days playing around with the ratios and I think I've succeeded! Thanks Ron!

Here's what I ended up doing, for anyone else that might be trying the same thing. First, I will say these conditions only work with the 5 ppm DFTPP solution specified by 525.3 and not the 50 ppm DFTPP solution specified by 625. Luckily, 625.1 also allows the use of less concentrated solutions. (However, to pass the new tailing requirements, Benzidine and Pentachlorophenol seem to need to be more concentrated than 5 ppm).

To get a tune that passed DFTPP without sacrificing my sensitivity, I looked at my autotune report (see attached) and recalculated the ratios as if 219 was 100% (as the custom tune does not allow you to enter values >100). I then entered these values into the custom tune and started adjusting the 414 and 502 values. I found that it works best if I drop both of them together rather than just the 414. I was able to pass the DFTPP check by setting them both at 8%, but over several runs the result fluctuated between 23.5 and 24, which is too close to failing for my taste. I prefer to have a little wiggle room so that I hopefully won't have to re-tune and calibrate every day. With both set at 6%, I'm averaging 22% on my tune check, which is a bit more comfortable. (As you can see in the attached custom tune result, the actual ratio is closer to 8%.)

In an unexpected bonus, I'm actually seeing increased responses for most of my compounds (organochlorine pesticides). The responses were highest when I had the custom tune set for 7 and 8%, but even with 6%, I'm seeing increased responses relative to the autotune conditions.

• I spent the last couple days playing around with the ratios and I think I've succeeded! Thanks Ron!

Here's what I ended up doing, for anyone else that might be trying the same thing. First, I will say these conditions only work with the 5 ppm DFTPP solution specified by 525.3 and not the 50 ppm DFTPP solution specified by 625. Luckily, 625.1 also allows the use of less concentrated solutions. (However, to pass the new tailing requirements, Benzidine and Pentachlorophenol seem to need to be more concentrated than 5 ppm).

To get a tune that passed DFTPP without sacrificing my sensitivity, I looked at my autotune report (see attached) and recalculated the ratios as if 219 was 100% (as the custom tune does not allow you to enter values >100). I then entered these values into the custom tune and started adjusting the 414 and 502 values. I found that it works best if I drop both of them together rather than just the 414. I was able to pass the DFTPP check by setting them both at 8%, but over several runs the result fluctuated between 23.5 and 24, which is too close to failing for my taste. I prefer to have a little wiggle room so that I hopefully won't have to re-tune and calibrate every day. With both set at 6%, I'm averaging 22% on my tune check, which is a bit more comfortable. (As you can see in the attached custom tune result, the actual ratio is closer to 8%.)

In an unexpected bonus, I'm actually seeing increased responses for most of my compounds (organochlorine pesticides). The responses were highest when I had the custom tune set for 7 and 8%, but even with 6%, I'm seeing increased responses relative to the autotune conditions.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?