Methanol GC contamination

Hi.

So ive had a very high sample with Methanol (around 8000 mg/l) and now i still have contamination around 500 mg/l in my blanks. Ive tried injecting IPA and replaced the syringe. Any other tips? Ive also pumped up the oven/column  tempature to a higher for a little and next step is probably column cutting at the inlet side? But i was wondering if there are any other simple tricks. 

Its a 7890-GC FID. 

Parents
  • Hi SteffiGC, 

Try to do a 'no-inject' blank to evaluate if your carry-over is coming from the ALS or the inlet.  You can do this by removing the syringe from the injector and running the method as normal - be sure to flip the syringe clip over the carriage so it isn't flopping around.  If you see peaks, the contamination is likely in the inlet or column.  You could replace the septum and liner, trim the column and re-test.  If  no peaks are present when the injector isn't used, replace wash vials, empty waste vials, and wipe down the tops of your vial caps.  Its also a good practice to wipe off the syringe foot.  Sometimes high concentrations of sample can accumulate there.  Let us know what you find out!

Abbey

• Hi SteffiGC, 

Try to do a 'no-inject' blank to evaluate if your carry-over is coming from the ALS or the inlet.  You can do this by removing the syringe from the injector and running the method as normal - be sure to flip the syringe clip over the carriage so it isn't flopping around.  If you see peaks, the contamination is likely in the inlet or column.  You could replace the septum and liner, trim the column and re-test.  If  no peaks are present when the injector isn't used, replace wash vials, empty waste vials, and wipe down the tops of your vial caps.  Its also a good practice to wipe off the syringe foot.  Sometimes high concentrations of sample can accumulate there.  Let us know what you find out!

Abbey

Children
Was this helpful?