8890 GC Jet and Data Storage

Hello, we recently purchased a 8890 model GC. I was not able to participate in the install, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Can you backup, download data from the control pad? What is the memory capacity?

2) Is the a schematic that compared the new jet configuration to the old jet configuration? What are the advantages of the new design?

Thanks!

• Hi hennindm,

I have updated the tags for better visibility. Please see the link below to get you started.

Regards

James 

• Hi hennindm, 

Congrats on your 8890 purchase!  The new GCs are designed to be used both in local settings with a computer near the instrument, and remotely, so the best fit was to build the data access into a workflow that permitted both, aka the browser interface.  Therefore, you will not be able to load and review data from the touchscreen on the GC, but you can view the files from the browser interface.  To do this, open the browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, etc) and type in the IP address of the GC in the browser bar and the interface will load.   All of the manual sets are stored on the GC, and can be accessed using the Help tab of the browser interface.   

The storage inside the GC is about 13GB.  To access the data files written to the GC storage, you must add the GC storage as a mapped network drive.  The data can be backed up to a server or USB drive once it is mapped.  The GC storage location can be viewed under Settings/Local Data Storage via the Browser.  

The FID jets were redesigned for several reasons, but I'll hit the highlights:

Ease of use - Sometimes, it is a struggle to get a capillary column into the tube base of the jet.  The new design has a wider opening at the bottom that helps guide the column to the proper location with less struggle.  

Order simplification - the quantity of part numbers was cut in half, with more clear explanation on which jets should be used for specific applications.  In addition, it is easier to know, at-a-glance, which jet you have installed by counting the rings.  The new jets are compatible with both capillary and packed columns, which helps decrease the inventory needed.  

Decreased likelihood of installation damage from over-tightening and galling of the threads.

The no-ring jet is the standard capillary jet, and will give the best sensitivity for most applications. 

The single-ring jet has a wider bore to tolerate high-bleed column particles or other shed issues while allowing sample to pass into the flame.

The double-ring jet is for high-temp applications like SimDis or similar.

I found a few images that show the new jets and compare them to the old

Great questions!  Hope this information is helpful to you, 

Abbey

Was this helpful?