Quantification of caprylyl glycol (1,2-octanediol) by GC/FID

Hello, 

I have to quantify caprylyl glycol (1,2-octanediol) in cosmetics samples (emulsion) by GC/FID.

Calibration : I made dilutions of the caprylyl glycol in water. 

Samples : Dilutions are more difficulted because of the sample matrix. 

I tried to make my dilutions in water and I used a filter but I'm not sure if all the caprylyl glycol is in my sample.

Do you have idea? 

Thank you, 

Parents
  • Hi,

You want to add an internal standard (ISTD) to your sample before any work-up.

Your ISTD needs to be structurally similar to your analyte but still different enough not to elute at the same RT. (if you were using GC-MS, you could use deuterated caprylyl glycol). That way, any changes (loss of sample, problem during injection, adsorption of analyte by filter,...) to your sample will happen as well to the ISTD and this can be corrected.

Your calibration solutions will need to have the same amount of ISTD you added to your sample. 

Now, if you can come up with a quantifying method for HS/GC-FID, it would be much easier as there is virtually no sample preparation.

• Hi,

You want to add an internal standard (ISTD) to your sample before any work-up.

Your ISTD needs to be structurally similar to your analyte but still different enough not to elute at the same RT. (if you were using GC-MS, you could use deuterated caprylyl glycol). That way, any changes (loss of sample, problem during injection, adsorption of analyte by filter,...) to your sample will happen as well to the ISTD and this can be corrected.

Your calibration solutions will need to have the same amount of ISTD you added to your sample. 

Now, if you can come up with a quantifying method for HS/GC-FID, it would be much easier as there is virtually no sample preparation.

Children
Was this helpful?