6890 FID column flow too fast

I have a 6890N GC with dual FID.  The back column has a much higher flow rate than the front column.  The two columns are identical and the setup for inlet, column and detector are identical. I have also swapped the EPC's between the two detectors.  Seems no matter what I do the flow is much higher on the back column than the front column as evidenced by very short retention times and  at least 3X higher readings on a flow meter. The pressures displayed on the GC all look normal! I know the flow on the front column is correct as the retention times match well with prior data on this GC and is a good match with other GC's we have in the department.  Is there a component that can fail and cause higher flow rates without an indication of higher pressure on the front panel?

Parents
  • Finally was able to get back to this instrument.  I have changed the back column, liner, seals, and ferrules. I swapped the EPC for the front and back detectors. I replaced the cartridge in the split vent trap as well as the line from the inlet to the trap. None of this has changed anything. The retention times are abnormally fast on anything injected into the back inlet. Injections on the front inlet are normal as always.  The method is identical for front and back columns. The pressure displayed on the panel is the same for the front and the back column.  However, when you make a manual injection on the back inlet there is enough back pressure to push the needle out of the injection syringe if you are not careful.  I believe the system is not reading the correct pressure on the back column.

• Happy to hear that finally you were able to get back instrument..

Reply Children
Was this helpful?