6890 FID column flow too fast

I have a 6890N GC with dual FID.  The back column has a much higher flow rate than the front column.  The two columns are identical and the setup for inlet, column and detector are identical. I have also swapped the EPC's between the two detectors.  Seems no matter what I do the flow is much higher on the back column than the front column as evidenced by very short retention times and  at least 3X higher readings on a flow meter. The pressures displayed on the GC all look normal! I know the flow on the front column is correct as the retention times match well with prior data on this GC and is a good match with other GC's we have in the department.  Is there a component that can fail and cause higher flow rates without an indication of higher pressure on the front panel?

Parents Reply
  • Column flow is showing 2 ml/min both front and back on the front panel.  We use two integrators one for each detector for data collection so no chemstation.  Using an isothermal analysis we can have large numbers of students run their samples quickly.  Inject, press start on the  integrator and walk away with a printed chromatogram in 7 minutes so the next student can test their sample.

Children
Was this helpful?