Hi, I'm having trouble with a signal buffer overflow.  It's complicated so please see the details

The buffer overlow is causing our sequences to crash. Instruments are GCMS only (the GCs run fine). It also happens on a colleagues instruments across the building, and it doesn't seem to matter the age of the instrument, or software being used, just that it's an GCMS. The buffer overflow error itself displays in the software and on the GC control panel. The problem is intermittent. Some sequences run fine, others crash on the first sample. Most of the time it overflows between 4-6am after about 6 samples. But not at an exact time like a scheduled task interference. Our IT and our service company both say there's nothing wrong on their end. No IP conflicts, no network outages, nothing physically wrong with the instruments or computer. I'm at a loss. The start of this did occur after a tropical storm caused a power outage, but I wouldn't think the network card would fail *sometimes*.  We didn't install any updates or change configurations recently, and it was working fine previously. I'm thinking of trying a system restore, but would like to avoid it. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • But now you've made me think of something to check...as I understand it, the buffer stores data, and the computer removes it from the buffer (i.e., the GCMS doesn't send the data, just holds it for the computer to take). If for some reason the GC is generating data when it shouldn't be, then the method/computer wouldn't know to retrieve it. It's only expecting MS data. I don't know how that would be possible but I'll check anything at this point. If you have any other ideas please let me know. My service group has already replaced the instrument motherboard, and it didn't solve anything.

• But now you've made me think of something to check...as I understand it, the buffer stores data, and the computer removes it from the buffer (i.e., the GCMS doesn't send the data, just holds it for the computer to take). If for some reason the GC is generating data when it shouldn't be, then the method/computer wouldn't know to retrieve it. It's only expecting MS data. I don't know how that would be possible but I'll check anything at this point. If you have any other ideas please let me know. My service group has already replaced the instrument motherboard, and it didn't solve anything.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?