Argon as carrier gas?

Hello Agilent,

At my company we have asked technical personel from Agilent several times during the years:

Why is argon not an option as carrier gas on Agilent 6890/7890 gas chromatographs?

Argon is by far the best carrier gas when detecting hydrogen using a TCD as detector. In 7890 configuration setup, we can select argon/methane as carrier gas (as a substitute for argon) But no argon/methane can be selected as reference- or make-up gas for the TCD...,? We have to select ... nitrogen??

Please add argon as a carrier gas and as a TCD reference/make-up gas option as well at the Agilent 7890A/B gas chromatographs.

With kind regards -

Lars Kürstein, Copenhagen.

Parents
  • Hi topsoe-lak,

I have spoken to my support within Agilent. They have logged this enhancement request with our R&D team . Its up to them to investigate whether or not this could or will be implemented. Usually this is based on number of requests from users and research into the request. For now it is logged as a data point with the GC product manager in our teamtrack system . Unfortunately, I cannot give a time frame on the request. We appreciate the input.

Regards

James

• Hello James,

Thank you for your reply.

We will wait for an 7890 firmware update ... :-) In the meantime, what will then be Agilents recommodations regarding optimum carrier gas/TCD reference gas configuration settings, when using argon as carrier gas?

With kind regards -

Lars Kürstein, Copenhagen

Reply Children
  • Hi Lars,

You would have to configure as nitrogen. The flows on the epc will not be accurate. You will have to measure the actual flow and compensate manually. Since we do not have data on this that I am exposed to, you will have to experiment as to what works best. If argon is implemented it would be sometime down the road as gas management through epc is not as simple as it seems on the surface. Feel free to update the community as other users maybe interested in what you are doing. We appreciate your involvement in the Agilent community.

Regards

James

Was this helpful?