6890N working with windows 7

Hello, I am attempting to Resurect a 6890N GC the GC seems to power up and function properly. The accompanying 5973 appears to try to power up but the display doesnot come on. The issue I am having is making these insturments work with a windows 7 computer, I am not able to use a XP machine per corporate standard. I have tried multiple IO library editions without success to get comunication established.

Parents
  • Hi jeremyan,

For Windows 7 you need MSD Chemstation E02.01 or higher for software with the matching IO libraries from the install disk. I would check the basics first with the PC, are you able to ping the 6890N? If so, basic communication would be working. I would suggest following the installation guide I have attached. The concern here with the 5973N is the display. This could be a display only issue, or could be the smart card and display. The problem with no display is that you do not know aht IP address has been used with the MSD. If you are lucky, its the most common 10.1.1.102.

Regards

James

I have also updated the tags for better visibility .

• I am not sure of the chemstation version number, it is the same version that came with the 6890N for the original XP machine. I can ping the GC but not the MSD. I was told that the IP for the MSD is the default (10.1.1.102) but I have no way of confirming that. If I need a newer version of the chemstation  could you provide me the instructions for obtaining that? Also would you be able to provide me with troubleshooting instructions and repair part numbers to order so I can get the MSD operational?

• The software needed would be a purchasable upgrade and there are a couple of options such as moving forward to the MassHunter platform. My thought on the MSD is that it needs a new LUI (Display) and smart card as they should always be replaced as a pair when there is a display issue.  There are other issues that go beyond what we can easily cover in this public forum. I would suggest calling 1-800-227-9770 opt 3 for a live discussion with one of our Mass Spec Service Engineers.

Regards

James

• Hi jeremyan, if you're able to ping the GC, you might try configuring an instrument in MSD Configuration with the GC but no MSD.

As far as your actual revision of ChemStation, we would recommend you find out exactly what you have. If it's E.02.01 or newer, we might be able to help you through this forum. If you could at least open your Agilent MSD Configuration (it should be a shortcut on the desktop), and then click on Help > Review Revision History..., that should tell us the revision. The window you get will look like this:

In my case, I'm using E.02.02 SP2.

To obtain a newer version than what you have, you would contact your local sales representative. If you don't have that contact information, you can call in to our support and sales toll-free number in the U.S., 800-227-9770. You can also navigate to the Contact Us page on agilent.com: https://www.agilent.com/en-us/contact-us/page for more information.

• Hi jeremyan, if you're able to ping the GC, you might try configuring an instrument in MSD Configuration with the GC but no MSD.

As far as your actual revision of ChemStation, we would recommend you find out exactly what you have. If it's E.02.01 or newer, we might be able to help you through this forum. If you could at least open your Agilent MSD Configuration (it should be a shortcut on the desktop), and then click on Help > Review Revision History..., that should tell us the revision. The window you get will look like this:

In my case, I'm using E.02.02 SP2.

To obtain a newer version than what you have, you would contact your local sales representative. If you don't have that contact information, you can call in to our support and sales toll-free number in the U.S., 800-227-9770. You can also navigate to the Contact Us page on agilent.com: https://www.agilent.com/en-us/contact-us/page for more information.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?