6890N working with windows 7

Hello, I am attempting to Resurect a 6890N GC the GC seems to power up and function properly. The accompanying 5973 appears to try to power up but the display doesnot come on. The issue I am having is making these insturments work with a windows 7 computer, I am not able to use a XP machine per corporate standard. I have tried multiple IO library editions without success to get comunication established.

Parents
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the software version right now. Every version of Chemstation, from A to E will still connect to the 5973.  The only exception to that is that a 5973A will not easily connect with version E, you have to use Version D or earlier for those instruments.  Is the mass spec hooked up via GPIB cables? or is it a usb to GPIB adapter? In order for the mass spec to connect, you'll have to double check the IP, then configure the gpib adapter.  The GC's generally connect without issue, but the older mass specs are more finicky. There are a few specific parameters that you have to configure for the connection to work. In the IO libraries, for the SICL interface name, you have to name it "hp82341".

Now, the other thing is that if the screen is not coming on, then identifying the IP it is using will be more difficult.  Although, that may indicate a hardware issue with the mass spec.  Does the turbo pump/diffusion pump turn on? does it attempt to pump down? If it does not do those things than the mass spec will need servicing for sure.

• The software revision is crucial to what will and will not work on Windows 7. If it is not E.02.01 or later, it was not tested on that operating system and is not guaranteed to work. Spending time getting the communication working will be for naught if ultimately ChemStation can't run properly due to incompatibility. Agilent strongly recommend against trying to use an older, untested revision of MSD ChemStation on an untested operating system. Certainly no D revision or earlier, but even the early E revisions will likely not function properly.

• Ok, I will be heading to the labs shortly as I work in multiple locations. I will check all of these points and get back to you with my findings.

Jeremy [personal information removed]

Reply Children
No Data
Was this helpful?