carrier gas line size for mulitple GCs

I am rearranging the about 10 GCs to be tubed from a single carrier gas location so for example hydrogen would come from one location and distribute to all GCs the manual says that 1/4" is fine for multiple analyzers, is there limit on the number of analyzers? Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi dhanong,

If you have 10 GC at 2 fids per GC all on at the same time using 40ml/min of H2, thats only 0.8litres per minute. I am not sure what the max would be, but I have seen that many GC on 1/8th inch line. The tricky part is when you get to the carrier gas and are running splits and carrier consumption is higher. I havent been involved on the gas system design of a lab so will be interested to hear what others have to say. I did add a few more tags to your post for better visibility. One item to note, make sure whoever is installing your gas systems uses tubing that has been cleaned for chromatographic use. I have seen some bad situations with incorrect tubing through the years.

James

• Hi dhanong,

If you have 10 GC at 2 fids per GC all on at the same time using 40ml/min of H2, thats only 0.8litres per minute. I am not sure what the max would be, but I have seen that many GC on 1/8th inch line. The tricky part is when you get to the carrier gas and are running splits and carrier consumption is higher. I havent been involved on the gas system design of a lab so will be interested to hear what others have to say. I did add a few more tags to your post for better visibility. One item to note, make sure whoever is installing your gas systems uses tubing that has been cleaned for chromatographic use. I have seen some bad situations with incorrect tubing through the years.

James

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?