Pressure of inlet lower than setting point - EPC problem?

Hi all,

I am using GC 7820 with split/splitless inlet to analyse liquid samples for a while. However, a problem has recently happened when the GC is running or I turn GC on.

- It shutdown when the temperature of oven is high when running.

or

- When I turn it on, sometimes the inlet pressure cant reach the setting point or increase slowly. In this case, I reduce the flow rate until the setting point of pressure is the same with actual value. After a while, I increase the flow rate with a small increment. By doing that, the pressure of inlet can reach the setting point of the method and the GC is ready for analysis.

I really don't know what is happening. However, I think that EPC module can fail and the inlet EPC valve does not open. Am I right?

Regards,

Long.

Parents
  • Hi thanhlong,

I updated the tags on your post for better visibility. What mode are you operating in with your inlet? It sounds like splitless and you may not have enough total flow supplying the inlet, or perhaps a leak. If you respond with your inlet parameters such as flow, mode etc, I may be able to get a better idea what is happening.

James

• Hi James,

The mode I am using is split with ratio 30:1 and the temperature of inlet is 250oC. Actually, I haven't changed the pressure of supplier and GC has worked with the current supplier. This morning, that symptom happened again and after applying above way, it is running now and 2 samples were completely analysed.

Long.

• Yes, it is the constant flow mode. The following is the method I am using:

Carrier gas: Helium

Carrier gas flow rate: 1 mL/min (constant flow)

Injection volume: 1 μL

Injection port temperature: 250 °C

Split injection ratio: 30:1

Initial oven temperature: 45 °C, 10 min hold time

Oven ramp rate: 3 °C/min

Final oven temperature: 250 °C, 5 min hold time

FID: 280oC.

Column: DB-1710 60m x 0.25mm x 250um

This morning, the maximum of inlet pressure was 1.2 psi while the calculated pressure was around 20 psi. When the flow rate was reduced at 0.04 ml/min, the calculated pressure was down to 1.2 psi. After 30-min holding, the flow rate was increased again and the inlet pressure reached the desired value.

Long.

P/S: Can you tell me the suitable temperature of environment that GC works properly? I mean temperature of room in which GC is located.

• Working in constant flow? Possible this is a small leak at the septa or other connection. With a 30 to 1 split I don't see it being a total flow issue. If it happens again, post your method parameters so those can be ruled out. I hope it keeps working for you .

James

Reply Children
Was this helpful?