Agilent Cool on column ALS injector problems

Afternoon forum members,

I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on our injector issue. We had a COC injector port installed on the back inlet of our 7890a GC - FID.

When the autosampler (7963 plugged into back inlet port) lowers to inject the sample - the A/S stops with a shudder and goes into fault mode - the plunger remains depressed. I can manually inject the sample at this point and then raise the injector. Needle is not bent. I have loosened off the septa cap to ensure the needle is not getting pinched during the injection, and double checked that the syringe needle was not the problem by removing it altogether and trying another injection - ALS stops at point of injection.

Fault log reports 'Sampler error #901 Auto Injector back tower syringe error' and turret flashes red twice, which according to the manual indicates that I need to reinstate or replace syringe - both of which I have done

I have tried realigning the A/S using the automatic align on the turret - and all seems OK. I can manually inject a sample, so I am happy with the alignment of the 0.53um guard column and associated COC parts and we have the 0.53 on column nut with septa in place. I have also changed the needle guide 'foot' to the one that came with the kit.

The needle is a 5ul Agilent on column syringe (5182 0836) with 0.32 needle, inlet pressure is 10psi has a septum purge of 15ml/min.

Has anyone experienced this issue - or be able to shed some light on it please.

Many thanks,

Matt

Parents
  • Hi Matt:

I am entering the forum late, so hopefully by now you have resolved your problem.  I also use COC injection, but with Mass Spec.  Initially I had some problems with the COC injector in which the 5uL needles were bending on injection; however, this was coupled with other problems that were more related to the mass spec and the new extractor source.  Initially we did not use a guard column, but the service engineer added the 0.53 um guard column and also switched the needle to a 10ul fixed needle (part# 5181-1267).  This alleviated the bent needle.  I don't know if that will help your situation since you didn't seem to have a problem with your needle.  Also make sure in your Inlet & Injection Parameters, the inlet location is set for Rear and the injection source is set for GC-ALS and not manual.  Also that the ALS is set for back injector.  Again, hopefully you have resolved your problem and are up and running.

Regards,

Dawn Harrison

USDA

• Hi Matt:

I am entering the forum late, so hopefully by now you have resolved your problem.  I also use COC injection, but with Mass Spec.  Initially I had some problems with the COC injector in which the 5uL needles were bending on injection; however, this was coupled with other problems that were more related to the mass spec and the new extractor source.  Initially we did not use a guard column, but the service engineer added the 0.53 um guard column and also switched the needle to a 10ul fixed needle (part# 5181-1267).  This alleviated the bent needle.  I don't know if that will help your situation since you didn't seem to have a problem with your needle.  Also make sure in your Inlet & Injection Parameters, the inlet location is set for Rear and the injection source is set for GC-ALS and not manual.  Also that the ALS is set for back injector.  Again, hopefully you have resolved your problem and are up and running.

Regards,

Dawn Harrison

USDA

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?