FID Jets for Agilent 8890 GC compared with 5890/6890/7890 GC

Hello,

I have just changed a FID weldment from "FID adaptable fitting" to "Capillary optimized fitting" on a Agilent 7890A GC. The FID jet dimensions mounted in the new FID weldment are quite new to me... There is a very large hole in the FID Jet tube column inlet. Must be made for 8890 GC`s?

When searching for part numbers for packed column specific FID jets at 8890 GC`s, using the program "Parts Finder", I can see one FID Jet only available …. (part.no.: G4520-20320).

Wil there be one FID Jet only for 8890 GC`s, used for both packed and capillary columns?

Best regards -

Lars 

Parents
  • Previously there were different length jets depending on whether or not your GC had the adaptable or capillary-only base.  (Capillary-only jets are shorter.)  These have been replaced with universal FID jets, which will work on both base types going back to at least 6890.  There are a few different options for the orifice size at the top.  Etched rings at the top of the universal jets help identify the orifice size.  Part numbers are:

5200-0176: FID jet, universal fit, 0.011 inch ID

5200-0177: FID jet, universal fit, 0.018 inch ID

5200-0178: FID Jet, universal fit, 0.030 inch ID

More information on these can be found at Flame Ionization Detector (FID) for GC | Agilent 

On your 7890 with capillary-only base, you'll want to use one of these listed here - the adaptable jet will not fit.

• Previously there were different length jets depending on whether or not your GC had the adaptable or capillary-only base.  (Capillary-only jets are shorter.)  These have been replaced with universal FID jets, which will work on both base types going back to at least 6890.  There are a few different options for the orifice size at the top.  Etched rings at the top of the universal jets help identify the orifice size.  Part numbers are:

5200-0176: FID jet, universal fit, 0.011 inch ID

5200-0177: FID jet, universal fit, 0.018 inch ID

5200-0178: FID Jet, universal fit, 0.030 inch ID

More information on these can be found at Flame Ionization Detector (FID) for GC | Agilent 

On your 7890 with capillary-only base, you'll want to use one of these listed here - the adaptable jet will not fit.

Children
  • Thank you for quick answer and the options explained.

However, an "old school" gas chromatographer like me does not like instrument changes, unless they are very well explained.

I need to have clarified which of three new FID Jets to use in different situations, for example packed columns, small-bore and wide-bore  WCOT or PLOT silica/metal capillary columns. The FID Jet with 0.030 inch ID orifice is for SimDIst applications?

Why this very big hole at bottom in the FID Jet and a big internal volume of the FID jet tubing? It must causing another way of mixing column effluent with FID gases in the FID jet, before the effluent//gasmix passes the FID jet tip?

Can you please provide a link to a technical manual or likewise for choosing the correct FID Jets?

Best regards -

Lars 

• The 0.011" ID jet is the standard one that comes pre-installed in the FID.  This will work fine for most capillary column methods.  If you're running heavy samples on capillary columns (higher temp SimDist, for example) I would install the 0.018" ID jet.  I used that for D2887 and heavier SimDist methods when I was doing method development and it worked well.  I would recommend the 0.030" ID jet for packed columns only, as the orifice is large enough that many capillary columns would go straight through it.

There is an Agilent guide for selecting FID jets available at Selecting an FID Jet - 7890A GC | Agilent .  The part numbers are the old ones, you'll need to use the part numbers listed in my previous message.

The large opening at the bottom of the jet makes it easier to install the capillary column.  The capillary inserts all the way into the jet and the end should be 1-2 mm below the jet tip.  (When the capillary column bottoms during install, it is hitting the top of the jet on the inside.)  The H2 and makeup flows are added at the bottom of the jet, outside of the capillary column.

Was this helpful?